Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Hi ladies! My daughters are 7 & 2 years old. My oldest is in first grade, and this will be her past year in public school. I've been going back and forth with our decision, but I really feel it's right for us as this school year comes to a close.

Anyway, I've obviously discussed this with my daughter to see what her thoughts are. She knows what the plan is. Yesterday, her teacher approached me and asked me about it. She asked WHY? I was caught off guard to say the least, and just mumbled something about doing a lot of research and thinking it will be good for her.

Then she said if I need any help/advice from her before the school year ends to prepare, feel free to ask! So, what kind of information can I ask for from her? I'd love to use her as a resource while I have her available, but I'm drawing a blank. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Replies (11-17):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I have always and I mean always stayed clear of anything public school.  It may be fine but all you need is one nosy person to stir up trouble.  I have seen it many times.  There are plenty of other people that you can ask for help or suggestions if you need it.

krysxo
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Hello ;) This coming yr (august) will be my 1st yr homeschooling too. The school has really failed my 2nd grader this yr. I'll have a 1st grader and 3rd (but starting 2nd w reading.) I wouldn't ask teacher for anything, I would brush it as being polite. You have everything u need from online resources and these lovely mamas in my opinion. :) Honestly just brush up on your state laws, find your curicculum and everything else will fall into place!
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Hmmmm, my son's kindergarten teacher tried to convince me to have a conference before we left too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I think she might feel like you feel SHE wasn't doing her job well. If that isn't the case, give her a nice end of year present with a card telling her she has done a great job.
CaitsCookies
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Heh.  For us, the CPS call came BEFORE deciding to homeschool.  SS has PTSD as well as other challenges to cope with, so when his great-grandmother passed and his mom made a few unexpected changes that affected all of us, he started having meltdowns at school.  After CPS told the school we are doing everything right and they needed to work WITH us, the school decided we needed to homeschool.  Quite alright, as he is doing MUCH better now, after just a year of homeschooling.

QueenAtargatis
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I can't reply to every comment, but thank you all!!!

I really don't think we would have an issue with her. She's actually a friend of the family, and she's lovely. I think her offended stance was definitely because she thinks, maybe, we think she failed our daughter. That's untrue, as she's been wonderful with what she's given to work with for the most part.

I think I may use the end of the year conference to get a better idea of where my daughter stands academically, and how the teacher thinks she learns best. I think that's all I will need from her, since we have very different views on learning and children in general.

Thank you!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a teacher offer me help but I had no questions for her. I honestly ended up asking other homeschoolers and our local librarian when something happened along in my brain. I had a teacher who understood why we were homeschooling though. She told me if was the best choice I ever made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN