Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have naysayers in your family?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 21 Replies

Have you encountered naysayers among family and friends who don't believe in hs'ing? Are they very vocal about it? How do you handle it?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Not anymore.  For the first year, we heard a lot from the in-laws.  They thought the kids would be weird, we would just mess around and not learn, and that the kids "needed" to learn to sit in rows and wait turns and stand up to bullies.

I let the boys handle it.  They would get them aside and ask them a million questions.  My oldest started saying (in his best Penguins of Madagascar voice) "Just smile and wave boys."  Then he asked his Grandma, "You say that we aren't around people our own age enough and don't get to interact with peers.  Do you realize that my cousins are all here and I want to play with them, but you are sitting here asking me questions I could have answered a couple years ago?  I love you, Grandma, but I'm going to go play now."  It was great!!! He was respectful, but got his point across.  She has stopped.

oh yeah, BTW, she is now a BIG proponent of homeschooling.  Her grandkids use vocabulary that is over her head.

almondpigeon
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

luckily, no.  my mom was very weirded out by it at first, but never really said anything negative.  most of the family is very supportive.

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM

none in my family, they all homeschool also

usmom3
by BJ on May. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a relationship with the ones that are naysayers!

Knightquester
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I'm sure there are those that don't agree, but few that would argue or express that to me.  Those around me realize it's not their decision, and also realize I'm no fool.

I'm sure it does help I was successfully homeschooled and did complete college, have worked in a professional job w/o having issues and have friends I've known for almost two decades.  Most approaching me about their negative thoughts on homeschooling would find it difficult to argue as they would be far more ignorant than I on the subject.  I know and have proven that the outcome can be positive.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Oh yes. I have more against it than for it, at least it seems that way some days.
My MIL is big time against it, and is sure to convey it in her own 'subtle' way each time we see her.
101stwife
by on May. 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM

No one in my family or my husband's has ever really home schooled. So, at first they were skeptical and I think they thought it was weird. Our 3 boys were all in public school until this last year so they spent a great majority of their school years in a traditional school. My daughter will be in kindergarten this coming year and she will be homeschooled from the start.

I think that people are naysayers because they know nothing about it. They don't understand that homeschoolers (atleast the good ones) don't just sit around all day doing nothing. When my parents or inlaws would ask what they were learning they were surprised at all of the things that we have covered. Then they were worried about their social interactions. But, our home school group does so much together! The grandparents love hearing about all of the field trips and the activities that we do as well as the sports the kids are involved in. They have never been rude about homeschooling, they just didn't understand it. Over this last year they have changed their minds.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM
On my side no. On the other side, some.
lil_mama06
by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I did from my mom,husband and church family..I still hear it from my mom. `After Andie started school and the teacher told my husband and I that she didn't have as big of gaps as what we thought, he's trusting me more with the last 2. 

coala
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I have a couple.  For the most part everyone has been pretty encouraging.  I have to remind them that we do get out and get socialization.  My kids honestly haven't played with anyone all week, but we have had terrible weather which keeps everyone inside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN