Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have naysayers in your family?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you encountered naysayers among family and friends who don't believe in hs'ing? Are they very vocal about it? How do you handle it?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrs.hartman12
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM

They are always asking when we are enrolling her into kindergarden even though they know we homeschool, and my mother was trying to "help" me go back to work full time. They know we are homeschooling but ignore it. Thats the trend with my family they ignore what they dont like. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I am sure that I have some. My inlaws were pretty negative about homeschoolers before I started to homeschool mine. They would pin all the stigma that homeschooling usually brings to mind and say negative things. However, since I have started homeschooling; they've not said anything negative to me. I have had a few ask me if I actually teach them but for the most part no one hassles me about it.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Not at the moment. I'm starting to think I may get some naysayers when they find out I'm hsing all the way through highschool.
kmath
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I haven't really talked about it much with my family yet, but whenever I have sounded them out about it a little everyone is against it.  It isn't going to change my mind and the only one who really matters is my son's father.  He is also hesitent but we haven't sat down and discussed it fully yet because I was still doing research.  I'm sure there will be people who try to talk me out of it once they find out I am really doing this, but as much as I love them, they don't get a say.  I love my son and this is what is best for him in my opinion.

LocoCountryMama
by Lori on May. 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM
My family is supportive. The only naysayer has been my ex, even though homeschooling was something we discussed while we were together and he was on board with it then. I mostly tune him out. He's coming around, slowly.
Momof697
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Yes my MIL, and Sil's (3) do not think I should be homeschooling. A couple years when I was asked how school was going I would tell Oh ____ did not want to do it so it was a fight. I then got a couple months of why not put them in school? Why do you hs.?  I told them that I pray about it and my DH and I still feel this is the way we are supposed to go so that is what we do. (they (who are all christians) could not understand the part of how we know that is what God wants us to do.    Now when asked I tell them "fine" or "it is going"

My MIL's sister has hs her kids (she has 9) most of their school years. so why they are not used to it is beyond me.  Most days I feel like I should put them in ps but I know that is not what God wants of me. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My family is very supportive and my mom actively participates with field trips and crafts and things. Even the family that are teachers in ps are polite about it. My MIL was not on board, but I don't answer to her, so I really don't care. I think she is more accepting about it, but I don't think she likes it, really. Apparently my dh has put her in her place, because honestly, she's never brought it up to me. My dh is very good about defending me.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM

It's odd in my family. My great aunts were all teachers, and they're fine with it for the most part, as long as she is visibly learning. They'll ask her to read something then ask her about it, or have her do some math problems, but they do that with ALL of the kids (including myself STILL since they know I'm still working on my degree). As long as they're "okay" with it, the rest of my dad's family won't say a thing even if they disagree with it. My dad doesn't care. As long as the kids are learning, he's happy. 
My mom's family won't say anything to my face, but I'm sure they talk behind my back. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't have a mental ilness, drug addiction problem, alcohol problem, and a stable relationship - and I'm the "bad influence" of the family. So me homeschooling - I can only imagine how that is sitting with them lol. But I could care less.... My mom on the other hand. She is perfectly OK with us homeschooling where we are. If I mention that we will most likely continue to homeschool even if we move somehwere else, then I'm being "narrow minded and ignorant" because I don't know how all schools everywhere are and she (my daughter) "NEEDS" that interaction with other kids (because the kids she does interact with doesn't count?). Then when I put the kids in extra programs, like swimming or Tball, she gets upset because our schedule can't bend to her will, or she can't see them as often, or we're too busy and they don't have enough down time. There is and never will be pleasing this woman. 

The thing that ticks me of fthe MOST though with her, she will say to the kids, "You need to convince your mom to let you move in with me, and you can go to the school across the street." There are SO many things wrong with it, but the first and foremost - the school across the street goes to 2nd grade. My daughter will be going into 4th. The school she would be going to, my mother pulled me out of because of the teachers and many problems with the school....so WHY would she want my kids to go there?!

My in-laws are hard to read. On one hand they know exactly why we're homeschooling and support us however they can, but I think they are also under the belief that if we move again, the kids are immediately going to go back to public school. The rest of hubby's family - he has a few aunts and uncles who also homeschool, so they're fine with it. Hubby's dad's side is a small family, and my kids were the only great grand kids up til recently, so they can do no wrong, and are "SOOO smart" lol. As long as we don't mess up somehow, we're good as gold with them LOL.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Nope, not any more. I've sold them on it! We've been homeschooling for 6 years now. You can't deny success!

LavenderMom23
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM

The only thing said that was unsupportive kind of was from my mil who asked how we could afford it and was about to go on a big spill until I told her it was already paid for by her son/ my DH. Then she changed the subject and has been neuteral since.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)