Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I started partial homeschooling since last year and after few months of adjustment, we are moving forward. Watching my autistic son learn is so addicting. He's like a sponge. I've never seen him like this before. I wonder if he's maturing or it's the homeschooling. Whatever it is... I am so loving it!

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on May. 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Replies (11-17):
LavenderMom23
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Research says: Homeschooling! believe it or not, special needs children do better at home.

mommy4lyf
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM

In my experience, it really does. I think even if my son doesn't have autism, I will still homeschool him if he showed the same problem.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Research says: Homeschooling! believe it or not, special needs children do better at home.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

LavenderMom23
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

In my case DD has ADHD and ODD, not severe as autism but still the school was clueless. Second DD did okay in school, but has ADHD and does home school medication free! Now I won't put a child in public elementary. I know better.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

In my experience, it really does. I think even if my son doesn't have autism, I will still homeschool him if he showed the same problem.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for League of Animal Protectors, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 1 year, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

mommy4lyf
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I can relate to you. I just wished I've done this sooner. They can't give my son the one on one attention I thought they will give him in a small class setting. He was learning fine at home so I know that it was too much distraction that prevents him from learning. The teacher was pretty happy with his progress and the review worksheets on his basic math doesn't showed erasures. It means, he wasn't guessing anymore.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

In my case DD has ADHD and ODD, not severe as autism but still the school was clueless. Second DD did okay in school, but has ADHD and does home school medication free! Now I won't put a child in public elementary. I know better.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My spectrum child is like that as well. It's beautiful! Especially since I know he's building confidence and self-esteem, and he has the freedom to learn in what ever way his brain wants/needs!

mommy4lyf
by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That is so true! I am still in cloud nine. All my hard work was never wasted. Homeschooling is no longer intimidating for me. We're both learning at the same time and we get along well.

Quoting KickButtMama:

My spectrum child is like that as well. It's beautiful! Especially since I know he's building confidence and self-esteem, and he has the freedom to learn in what ever way his brain wants/needs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN