Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Certified Mail from public school?

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

I pulled my 7 year old DD out of public school this year after the first nine weeks were a nightmare. I figured if the public school couldn't teach her in 3 1/2 years, I could definitely do better. The school hasn't sent anything except her last IEP meeting paperwork. But yesterday we get a card in the mail saying we weren't home to sign something from -ISD (our school). That we should go to the post office to sign/and pick it up. 

Has anyone gotten something like this? I have no clue what it could be, but if they want to harrasse me, I'm not going to sign/pick it up. They can just take it back, ya know, lol. We are using an acceptable program that can vouche for us, I just don't want the hassel.

Advice?

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for League of Animal Protectors, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 1 year, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.hartman12
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It is my understanding that if you homeschool you have no connection with the ps system so I have no clue what they would be sending you. What are your state guidlines? For my state we just have to write an intent to hs to the super indentent and submit an education plan. 

LavenderMom23
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

At the beginning of the year I sent them a letter of intent according to THC reccomendations. I'm in TX so we only have to teach the core subjects and no other requirements, but I am using Seton Home Study with many subjects. I should be good. Yet, there's this envelope waiting for me at the post office. I didn't buy a year book or anything. So odd!

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

It is my understanding that if you homeschool you have no connection with the ps system so I have no clue what they would be sending you. What are your state guidlines? For my state we just have to write an intent to hs to the super indentent and submit an education plan. 

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for League of Animal Protectors, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 1 year, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

usmom3
by BJ on May. 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I am in Texas & there is nothing they can do to you, if they do try to threaten you contact THC & have them deal with them. All a certified letter is is a way for them to get confirmation that you did indeed receive what ever it is they are sending you.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

At the beginning of the year I sent them a letter of intent according to THC reccomendations. I'm in TX so we only have to teach the core subjects and no other requirements, but I am using Seton Home Study with many subjects. I should be good. Yet, there's this envelope waiting for me at the post office. I didn't buy a year book or anything. So odd!

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

lil_mama06
by Debbie on May. 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I have no idea what they could be sending you. If you decide to get it let us know what it is. 

LavenderMom23
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Honestly, I'd rather not know. There isn't anything I can think of that would be worth the drive, even to just the post office.

Quoting lil_mama06:

I have no idea what they could be sending you. If you decide to get it let us know what it is. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I live in PA and do have to deal with the school district.  We send everything back and forth through certified mail.  It acually saved my butt the first year.  The school said they didn't receive my paperwork and called a truancy officer, but I had the receipt.

That said, I've heard Texa is much looser about homeschooling.  So I have no idea what it could possible be!  Good luck!  Let us know what you find out.

LavenderMom23
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Yeah, I had sent it certified mail (Plus a copy to THC) and answered two phone calls from the gal responsible for attendance. I doubt they'd wait a whole year though to call truancy. However, she was special education. At most, maybe they'd do it bc they miss her extra income? Still, I doubt one student is really that big of a dent. Another possiblity is left over school work? Her teachers were really absent minded and she switched classes and I never went back for any work she had done bc the papers I did get back while she attended were all scribbles and nothing to show for 3 1/2 years of education. I wouldn't go to get more scribbles either. That sounds harsh, but her school work is so much improved, it's not even funny.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I live in PA and do have to deal with the school district.  We send everything back and forth through certified mail.  It acually saved my butt the first year.  The school said they didn't receive my paperwork and called a truancy officer, but I had the receipt.

That said, I've heard Texa is much looser about homeschooling.  So I have no idea what it could possible be!  Good luck!  Let us know what you find out.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Any Library books?  Or maybe money left on a lunch card?  Ths would be the time of year for inventories.  I wouldn't want to receive work from the public school either.  It was usually far below my son's ability level and would just irritate me.  :-)

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Yeah, I had sent it certified mail (Plus a copy to THC) and answered two phone calls from the gal responsible for attendance. I doubt they'd wait a whole year though to call truancy. However, she was special education. At most, maybe they'd do it bc they miss her extra income? Still, I doubt one student is really that big of a dent. Another possiblity is left over school work? Her teachers were really absent minded and she switched classes and I never went back for any work she had done bc the papers I did get back while she attended were all scribbles and nothing to show for 3 1/2 years of education. I wouldn't go to get more scribbles either. That sounds harsh, but her school work is so much improved, it's not even funny.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

oredeb
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

let us know what you do!!

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Dont be too worried. Every year I get a certified letter with tickets to our local fair. All students in town get them at school. Homeschoolers tickets are mailed. The tickets used to be stolen so now they send it certified since it is a huge event locally. My first year the letter scared me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)