Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool+Special Needs

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 3 Replies

Do any of you homeschool your special needs children?

My son currently goes to a special needs pre-k in the public school system. Originally I had wanted to homeschool, but with his needs for therapy and him struggling already with social situations I was/am afraid I would cause more harm than good. We still have next year in the pre-k setting again, but I'm re-considering starting homeschooling for kindergarten and up.  Just looking for others stories who have experience in this situation.

Thank you for reading and for any thoughts/comments you leave :-)

by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Homeschooling is actually better for special needs kids then public school. As far as therapy goes you can still get it through the school in some states or through your medical insurance.

I homeschool/unschool my sons that are on the Autism spectrum & they are doing great!

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM

My oldest daughter struggles with anxiety and a mood disorder. My youngest struggles with an assortment of problems from daily abdominal migraines to communication and reading delays.  Having my DD1 home has helped her in so many ways because she doesn't have the pressure of the public school.  My youngest doesn't have a choice because she physically could not make it through a traditional school day. My kids are very active.  I can't think of a typical day when they are not around other children - whether it's at the homeschool center, dance, art, the park, etc. Sometimes smaller social situations are so much better, especially if it's a struggle. Like the pp said, you should be able to get therapy through the school district.  We have meetings set up with the school for DD2 to get help with her reading and communication delays.  She'll likely go in for 30 min or so a couple of times a week for help.

Precious333
by Julia on May. 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM
My brother has downs syndrome and autism and is homeschooled, actually just graduated. My mom.choose to.homeschool for many reasons. One, it was a safer.environment, and two, because he gets one on one with the.person who knows him.best and is invested in him. Dont underestimate yourself, and if you feel your child will benefit from therapy, you can still.do that when you homeschool.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN