Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Your school experience

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 31 Replies

What was your school experience growing up?  Public, private, homeschooled?  Were you picked on, popular, punk, in-between? 

Does your school experience have anything to do with the reason you decided to homeschool?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I was picked on and unpopular.  It has nothing to do with why I am homeschooling.  I homeschool because my dd7 needs to be homeschooled.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Private, homeschooled and public. From k-4 to 5th grade I went to a private school. 6th and 7th grade I was homeschooled. 8th grade on up I went to public school.
I wasn't picked on until I went to public school. There it took me close to 3 yrs to find a circle of friends. I wasn't popular in the sense of cool. I was popular in the sense that everyone knew who I was. I was also considered a freak. :)

My school experience had little to do with my reasons to homeschool.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I was homeschooled up to 9th grade and went to a very small private Christian school from 10th through 12th. I was not popular but neither was I picked on.
Being homeschooled for most of my life was not what made me homeschool my kids, but because I was already familier with it it made the decision a whole lot easier.
Knightquester
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I was severely bullied in public school from kindergarten until 5th grade.

I begged my mom to find an alternative type of schooling for me because I didn't want to go into 6th grade (middle school) where the bullies would be all the bullies I had encountered through all of my elementary years.  As she looked into private school she realized she couldn't afford to private school me and my brothers (who also wanted to not go back to the public school).  She found out about homeschooling through those that worked at a private school she was looking into.

So I was  homeschooled from 6th grade on and it was a much more positive experience.

I forgot to add.  My homeschooling and my public school experiences were not why I homeschooled my children.  We fell into homeschool as something we were planning on only trying out for a year until we could move closer to a public school or get a second vehicle.  My husband needed our only mode of transportation for his long commute to/from work but we lived too far to walk our children to the local schools which were 5-6 miles away and they didn't offer bus services.  My children have asked to continue homeschooling every year, even though now we live walking district from a good public school.  They have friends in the local public schools and don't disrespect that means of education, but they also have their own reasons for wanting to continue to homeschool which I respect and support.

SusanTheWriter
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I was in public and private school. Mostly a middle of the road experience. Not popular, occasionally picked on, but then, I was the freaky smart kid.

We don't homeschool because of our own school experiences. We do it because it was the best thing for our DD.

I knew one homeschooled kid in high school. He came to my private school for Physics class. Bit of an anarchist, that one. I could see him becoming a survivalist and going off the grid.

I also knew a couple of homeschooled kids in college. One was bright, outgoing and fun. I even went out with him a few times. The other was an unsocialized weirdo who was so terrified of being away from home that she didn't speak to anyone - including her roomates - until partway through her 2nd semester.

rhiannonaisling
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I was picked on and unpopular in public school. And it has nothing to do with the homeschooling.

My son was "undersocialized" for a school setting (my stepchild whose bio mom, otherwise known by crude epithets since she abandoned the kids, neglected him and his siblings) and nearly got expelled for doing things that the average 4 year old would do (when he was 6-8) and dd (same situation) was being teased and beat up, not to mention the school lying to cover their asses when dd broke her arm claiming she broke it at home and that we sent her to school that way when she broke it playing a particularly violent form of tag on the basketball courts because the teacher was to f***ing lazy to put the cones out in the grass!

mommy4lyf
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I was in private school from (preschool through college). My son is in public school because it is well funded and he got a lot of help from ps. I partial homeschool him because of different reasons like, safety, religion, discipline, I want to see my son grow and learn at the same time. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I was a fairly happy kid who landed in the middle for my elementary school years. My parents split and both because psychos so 6-12th were bad for me. I was a hellion. LOL

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I was public schooled. I was teased every single day of my life. I hated school. I was bullied by the teachers as well.

MY experience is some of why I decided homeschool. But it is also because my eldest didn't do well in public school. He was tested and is above average but wasn't living up to his full potential.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I was public schooled the whole way through.  I was picked on and became a tough kid because of it.  There was so much I had to over-come in order to be healthy afterward.  I was also very smart (G&T) and wasn't "placed" until middle school because of "maturity issues."  I knew my oldest son was also G&T, so when I found that the local school didn't really have a program I knew I would have to find something else.  I had taught a few omeschooled Mormon students and they were delightful.  i finally came to the conclusion that I needed to do something new with DS when the bullying started and the teachers didn't do anything about it.  I guess part of it was remembering my own issues with bullying.  I just couldn't let my sons get broken, KWIM?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN