Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you send your kids to camp?

Posted by   + Show Post
D is going to VBS in June and probably two weeks at a church camp he went to last summer that is 6 hours a day. I mostly send him so I can spend time alone with little brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

No, but we do a once a week homeschool class at a local campground through the whole school year.  We are going on a 6 week road trip from VA to Montanna this summer.  I like the homeschool class a lot.   They do a lot of nature studies and exploring the creek.  They even went canoeing one month while studying the water shed.

oahoah
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Ours are going to miss VBS this year as it is the same week we are going camping.  Last year our oldest had 4 summer camp-type events, 2 VBS, 1 boyscouts, and 1 church class.  This year it will probably just be 2, no more boyscouts, it will be an evening VBS and maybe all 3 of our boys can attend this year & give hubby & me a couple hours to ourselves which will be so weird; and then the church class/fun thing they do which is similar to VBS but not quite, which our 2nd son can now attend because he'll be in first grade. I can't do overnight camps.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Yes, church camp about an hr and a half away. . This is the first yr all 3 will be going but they all go different weeks. Ds is 4 and goes to day camp m-f from 9-330. , the other two will go overnight Sunday-Friday. 

BabyFruit Ticker

LocoCountryMama
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM
My girls are going to day camp at the community college for two weeks. They're both doing the jewelry making class, Anna is doing arts & crafts and singing, and Zoey is doing Harry Potter and a CSI-type class. And they get to go on a geocaching field trip and a horseback riding field trip.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Gee, I wish I could go to camp!:)

Quoting LocoCountryMama:

My girls are going to day camp at the community college for two weeks. They're both doing the jewelry making class, Anna is doing arts & crafts and singing, and Zoey is doing Harry Potter and a CSI-type class. And they get to go on a geocaching field trip and a horseback riding field trip.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Imagine that.  Us thinking the same. LOL  Except for our "religious" differences we sure do think a lot alike!  :-)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Psst, I'm glad u said it first! Lol 

we are the same, this summer I considered working at a summer camp so my kids could go, but physically I'm just not up to it, instead we will go camping as a family with a few of our homeschool friends. 

Quoting bren_darlene:

Nah,  I never did.  That is just us. We wanted our family to always be together.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

LocoCountryMama
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I know, right? I don't remember there being anything this fun when I was a kid!

Quoting Bluecalm:

Gee, I wish I could go to camp!:)

Quoting LocoCountryMama:

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Yes, we have sent all of our kids to a local day camp which goes for a month -- they emphasize "group cooperation and living," which is a nice complement to the home schooling.  Learning how to operate effectively in a group of people you don't know very well to accomplish various things is a useful skill.  When they get older, we do sleep-away camp for three weeks to a month or more -- either Jewish camp or foreign language camp (in part because we found out it often was actually cheaper to send them to Europe for camp, even with the air fare, than it was to have them go for a month of camp here in the U.S.  I think it has to do with insurance, but that's just a guess.)  They really enjoy it, and it gives me a chance to recharge and refocus.   

CJsMommy040506
by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My son is doing a week cub scout day camp, VBS, and a three hour one week soccer camp. For my daughter, just VBS unless we can afford a gymnastics camp.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this
My boys will both do a week at Boy Scout Camp. Sucks for them ad Mom tags along to this one ... lol! I'm an assistant Scoutmaster and that is my annual week off! No cooking or cleaning, I bring my hammock and a stack of books. Sweet!

All three will do a week long sleepover church camp. They totally love it and would be pissed if they couldn't go! It is the same camp I went to as a kid.

Since DD doesn't do Girl Scout camp (I can't stand the GS program) I am debating a week of gymnastics day camp. I have to see if we camn swing it.

I'm also somewhat offended by those who say, well we all want to stay together." That implies we are shipping our kids off because we need the break or whatever.

Camp for me was a total blast and helped nurture my love of the outdoors. It is all about new friends and new experiences, not ditching the kids. I actually send mine each a different week so that I get more time with each of the ones at home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)