Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you send your kids to camp?

Posted by   + Show Post
D is going to VBS in June and probably two weeks at a church camp he went to last summer that is 6 hours a day. I mostly send him so I can spend time alone with little brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

No we all go up to the campground and enjoy the summer up there. The kids have so much to do on their own and with the activity center that it is a true break for us. They just want to be fed really. Oh and to show us turtles and frogs that they catch. Or to run from the bears which are very very dangerous.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Psst, I'm glad u said it first! Lol 

we are the same, this summer I considered working at a summer camp so my kids could go, but physically I'm just not up to it, instead we will go camping as a family with a few of our homeschool friends. 

Quoting bren_darlene:

Nah,  I never did.  That is just us. We wanted our family to always be together.

maggiemom2000
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM

My two oldest (11 & 12) both have Celiac disease and they will spend 5 days/nights at Camp Celiac again this year. It will be the 12 yr old's 3rd year and the 11yr old's 2nd year. They absolutely love it and count down the days until they can go again!

My 11yr old just signed up for 3 days of "Horse Camp" where he does horseback riding lessons.

They will probably do a week of day camp as well.

We don't have any homeschool co-op or play grous that we are involved with, we live in a very small town in a rural area. They really don't spend much time with other kids during the school year, so it is nice for them to branch out a bit and spend some time with other kids during the summer.

haskins46563
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My daughter will be doing gymnastics camp for 4 days and my son will be doing two different Lego robotics camps (one in June and another in August). We spend way more on gymnastics lessons all year round than we do for football and wrestling that my son does each year.  That's why I allowed him to pick two Robotics camps.  Plus it's something he really likes that I just can't teach him well here.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Missie is going to girl scout horse camp for six days.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM
All the kids will do VBS.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Oh, Cole will also do Cub Scout day camp.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I almost sent Missie to church camp.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

My girls will do a Girl Scout day camp (3 days) - I'm helping with the younger girls' group, and my son will go along with the 'tagalongs' (mostly brothers) who do their own thing. The next week all 3 of them will attend an archaeology day camp (7 hours a day, 5 days). It's really close to our house at a Native American cultural center. The older two did it last year and LOVED it. They won't be in the same group, but they'll all be together at lunch time and other times during the day, so they can look out for each other, and it's only 3 minutes from our house. I have plans to remodel our half bath that week, and go get a pap smear and a massage (not at the same time LOL). Then in August they'll do an art camp - 4 hours a day, 5 days - which is also very close to our house and all 3 of them will be there. They will be together all day because the group size is very liimited. They've done it before and LOVE that too. 

We don't do sleep-over camps or any sleep-overs for that matter, as a family preference. When our kids are 12+ they will go to a church camp for 3-4 days where they sleep over, and in those cases either I or DH will go along too. But before that, and other than that, no sleepovers. Too much chance of something terrible happening to make it worth the possible benefit, IMO.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

DS is going to Boy Scout camp this summer. He loves it!

DD will do a couple of art day camps at the local uni. Last summer, she was the only one in class and got tons of great one-on-one instruction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)