Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you send your kids to camp?

Posted by   + Show Post
D is going to VBS in June and probably two weeks at a church camp he went to last summer that is 6 hours a day. I mostly send him so I can spend time alone with little brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
IntlMom12
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I used to go to a week-long church camp so if I find one that is like that I would probably send them when they are older, but at 5 and 6 I don't think they are ready to be by themselves for that long yet.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Most camps will not allow sleeping over until 3rd grade or about 8-9 yo.

Quoting IntlMom12:

I used to go to a week-long church camp so if I find one that is like that I would probably send them when they are older, but at 5 and 6 I don't think they are ready to be by themselves for that long yet.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I will sign them both up for a week of skate camp in late July or early August.  They won't take my youngest until she is 5....that happens at the end of June and she won't be finished with school until the end of July.  We may find one that does VBS as well.  I want them to experience some fun things this summer with other kids their age.

Kari_Noelle
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I also was somewhat offended at the "we all want to stay together" comment. I feel my kids need to have their own experiences (without family) to learn independence and self reliance. I think camp is part of growing up. I went to camp and so will my kids!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

My boys will both do a week at Boy Scout Camp. Sucks for them ad Mom tags along to this one ... lol! I'm an assistant Scoutmaster and that is my annual week off! No cooking or cleaning, I bring my hammock and a stack of books. Sweet!

All three will do a week long sleepover church camp. They totally love it and would be pissed if they couldn't go! It is the same camp I went to as a kid.

Since DD doesn't do Girl Scout camp (I can't stand the GS program) I am debating a week of gymnastics day camp. I have to see if we camn swing it.

I'm also somewhat offended by those who say, well we all want to stay together." That implies we are shipping our kids off because we need the break or whatever.

Camp for me was a total blast and helped nurture my love of the outdoors. It is all about new friends and new experiences, not ditching the kids. I actually send mine each a different week so that I get more time with each of the ones at home.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

My older two LOOOVE kids camp through church.    They get the opportunity to grow so much spiritually and maturity wise without us always right there. 

amanda.lyn
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Day camp at a community college, and family Camp!
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Well we pretty much ARE "always together." We homeschool, my husband works at home, we are together as a farmily a LOT. I am sure my children enjoy short breaks away from us just as much as DH and I enjoy our short breaks away from them - and who doesn't want a tiny bit of alone time every now and then? :)

I do admit that I will enjoy the free time to do some projects around the house - but that's not WHY I am sending them off to camps. And we do NOT do sleepover camps for safety reasons. And my children in general all (or at least 2 of them) attend the same camps, so they can look out for each other. So even if they are on their own, they aren't ever really on their own. Our family is a team and we all look out for one another. 

I wasn't offended by the statement, I just thought it was a little strange. It reminded me of the scene in Finding Nemo when Marlon says, "I promised I'd never let anything happen to him," and Dory says, "That's kind of weird. I mean if nothing ever happened to him, NOTHING would ever happen to him!" Children need - as they get older - short and controlled experiences in which to allow things to "happen" to them. We try to make these experiences safe but also worthwhile!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I don't find the comments offensive. I didn't feel like anyone was criticizing families that send their kids to camp, but were just stating their feelings. To each their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM

They're heading to zoo camp and science camp, each are just week-long day camps. I always wanted to go to camp and my parents never let me. 

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I wanted DS to go to church camp this year, but it is a couple hours from home and he doesn't want to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)