Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My homeschool area is done! Picture

Posted by   + Show Post

I figure that since I started so many discussions about what everyones homeschool areas look like, I should probably post mine now that its done! We start next week! :)

by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
MammaG08
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM

So how do you think your education hindered you?  I am sure you have lots of great ideas from your experience.  I'm just curious because I have a teaching degree as well. 

We took these past couple of months and unschooled both of us. He was in a formal preschool and I have 5 years of college in early childhood ed under my belt. It was actually hindering me and not helping me, so we had to take a step back before we even started. I'm glad we did because he has learned a ton from the little bit I have done with him so far. 

maggiemom2000
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm a teacher as well and I found it was a bit of a learning curve for me to figure out the difference between "school at home" and "homeschooling". So much of what we do as teachers in the classroom is because that is what works with a large group of children.

For example: You teach the lesson and then do the worksheet for practice. Everyone does the worksheet, that way you are sure every child practiced it, and you can score the worksheets and see how everyone did, who needs help, who's ready to move on etc. When my kids would balk at a worksheet I had to stop and ask myself, "WHY do they need to do this worksheet?" I realized that, often, my realization was that they don't need to do it!

Quoting MammaG08:

So how do you think your education hindered you?  I am sure you have lots of great ideas from your experience.  I'm just curious because I have a teaching degree as well. 

We took these past couple of months and unschooled both of us. He was in a formal preschool and I have 5 years of college in early childhood ed under my belt. It was actually hindering me and not helping me, so we had to take a step back before we even started. I'm glad we did because he has learned a ton from the little bit I have done with him so far. 

Clh1989
by on May. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Yes, this exactly!! When I first planned everything out the schedule was almost identical to my old class. Lots of worksheets and reading and things youd find in a traditional school environment. We are starting off science with learning about the water cycle, then the next week we are learning about the different bodies of water. For the bodies of water part we are spending that day on the beach actually building them! Eventually this builds up to reading a map. There isnt one worksheet or sit down lesson for almost our entire science unit. If I was planning this for a classroom I would have probably done some cut and paste worksheets for the water cycle and something similar for the bodies of water. 

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I'm a teacher as well and I found it was a bit of a learning curve for me to figure out the difference between "school at home" and "homeschooling". So much of what we do as teachers in the classroom is because that is what works with a large group of children.

For example: You teach the lesson and then do the worksheet for practice. Everyone does the worksheet, that way you are sure every child practiced it, and you can score the worksheets and see how everyone did, who needs help, who's ready to move on etc. When my kids would balk at a worksheet I had to stop and ask myself, "WHY do they need to do this worksheet?" I realized that, often, my realization was that they don't need to do it!

Quoting MammaG08:

Clh1989
by on May. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I just replied more specifically to maggiemoms quote. This might have been a personal problem of mine, Im not really sure! 

Quoting MammaG08:

Clh1989
by on May. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lil_mama06:

Looks great..And it's bigger than my living room..lol..

LOL this is the other half to my living room. Our furniture set looks small in here, which ended up being a good thing! I have our big chair to the right of the school area, so its kind of divided which is nice. 

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

You have a very nice room.  I wish that I had the extra room for a class area.

LavenderMom23
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Excellent space, my favorite was the letters on the wall

MammaG08
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's just you...I have heard this from many other teachers as well.  I am just starting the homeschooling journey with my kids, so I wanted to make sure I don't "fall into" any of the problems teachers (now teaching their own children) have had ~ I want to learn from others' mistakes, so I don't make them too! 

Quoting Clh1989:

I just replied more specifically to maggiemoms quote. This might have been a personal problem of mine, Im not really sure! 

Quoting MammaG08:

myownparadise
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Cute! It looks awesome!
Clh1989
by on May. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thank you, everyone! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)