Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When you have NO space...?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM
  • 23 Replies

DD's only two and I have started some preschooling with her (nothing too terribly serious just yet) but we have NO space. I have no room in her tiny room for a desk or table. All we have is a dining room table. We have no storage space except some room in the pantry to keep some art supplies. I wish I had a place I could set up as a schooling area but we just don't. How do you homeschool when you just have a table? Anybody out there have no space?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriaherring
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM
You don't need a desk.. The table is enough. Just add the books to a bookshelf and store other supplies in the top of a closet or under a bed.
katinahat
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Can you put in shelving?

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

JTE11
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Thank you! We were supposed to have had the rest of our house built six years ago, and we would have had a library/study that I could have used but things have stalled out and now we are still living in our own basement and tripping over each other. Our bookshelves and closets are full but maybe I can get DH to put up some shelves on the wall in our bedroom. That might buy us some time.

Quoting victoriaherring:

You don't need a desk.. The table is enough. Just add the books to a bookshelf and store other supplies in the top of a closet or under a bed.

JTE11
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:11 AM

The only place we can put some shelving is on a part of one wall in my (our) bedroom. It's about six feet by four feet so we could put a couple of shelves in there. I have a lot of my own books just lying in piles on the floor that I've been after DH to put up shelves for me in that spot. It would definitely be useful!

Quoting katinahat:

Can you put in shelving?

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM
When I had no space, I used a medium size white board propped on the table. I also taped things on the back like small posters. I also used the inside of closet and cupboard doors to hang things.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, get a shoe organizer that hangs in the closet. Then get those dollar plastic shoe boxes. You can stick supplies in the boxes and the hanger is only like 12 inches wide and hangs nine boxes.
101stwife
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I would have her sit at the dining table when it is time for learning. Or you could get a small folding table, I purchased one at Walmart and we pull it out for the boys to work at during the day and fold it up to be put in the closet when we aren't using it. Do you have any hall closet that you could put a few bins with school stuff? Or possibly up in the top of your daughter's closet or under a bed?

oahoah
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Just make do with what you do have. We had a school room which largely went unused until we moved our youngest into it. We use the living room coffee table and the dining table for working. I also bought lapdesks the kids can use wherever they feel like. If you are on Pinterest you can find creative storage places for small areas, some of the ideas I can remember are under the beds, taking advantage of closets, hanging baskets or plastic holders from the doors.

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Desks are so not needed. I have a dining table in or homeschooling room. I use a china cabinet for storage.
mommy4lyf
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
You will never run out of space when you are homeschooling because the world is your classroom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)