Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When you have NO space...?

Posted by   + Show Post

DD's only two and I have started some preschooling with her (nothing too terribly serious just yet) but we have NO space. I have no room in her tiny room for a desk or table. All we have is a dining room table. We have no storage space except some room in the pantry to keep some art supplies. I wish I had a place I could set up as a schooling area but we just don't. How do you homeschool when you just have a table? Anybody out there have no space?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

We do our work either on my bed or on the couch. The best thing I ever did was get clipboards and lapdesks. It is so much more comfortable. For storage, a rubbermaid under-the-bed box could keep things out of your way. or even under the couch. Homeschooling doesn't have to look like school. It should look like..well, home.

JTE11
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

We don't have a hallway closet and both DD's closet and ours (and under our bed) is full but I could move some of her toys out from under her crib and store them at my MIL's house.

Quoting 101stwife:

I would have her sit at the dining table when it is time for learning. Or you could get a small folding table, I purchased one at Walmart and we pull it out for the boys to work at during the day and fold it up to be put in the closet when we aren't using it. Do you have any hall closet that you could put a few bins with school stuff? Or possibly up in the top of your daughter's closet or under a bed?

JTE11
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I like the idea of using the inside of cupboard doors! And I hadn't thought of it but I may have to get a whiteboard. Right now I just have a home made chalk board I made out of a bed/TV tray and I can't prop it up.

Quoting mem82:

When I had no space, I used a medium size white board propped on the table. I also taped things on the back like small posters. I also used the inside of closet and cupboard doors to hang things.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I have schooled 20 yrs on the table. lol   Some of the children had desks in their room but we almost always schooled on the dining room table.  :-)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Her toys and books are helping her learn at this point.  Don't be too quick to get rid of them.

Quoting JTE11:

We don't have a hallway closet and both DD's closet and ours (and under our bed) is full but I could move some of her toys out from under her crib and store them at my MIL's house.

Quoting 101stwife:

I would have her sit at the dining table when it is time for learning. Or you could get a small folding table, I purchased one at Walmart and we pull it out for the boys to work at during the day and fold it up to be put in the closet when we aren't using it. Do you have any hall closet that you could put a few bins with school stuff? Or possibly up in the top of your daughter's closet or under a bed?

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM
We work at our dining room table, or on the couch, living room floor, someone's bed. The only thing I really require to get at the table(or seated with a flat surface) is writing. Other than that, it is pretty flexible.
Jlee4249
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Do you have that Magnadoodle? Or something like a magnet drawing board, dry erase board, chalk board? That's all you'll need @2. That and plenty of books to read to her (library!!!).

My daughter used to bring me her magnadoodle & I'd write the ABC's and sing it to her while pointing with my finger (or hers). Then I'd draw a bird & ask what's that? And what sound does it make? Then I'd draw something else. Then a square. Then shapes & numbers....
She knew her shapes, numbers, letters, & colors before she turned 2.

You NEED so very little to teach a small child the basics. Some crayons, paper can do wonders. Just be sure to read, read, & read some more... On the couch, in her bed, on the floor... She'll learn to enjoy reading b/c you made it enjoyable.

Good luck.
lil_mama06
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We do most of our schooling on the couch..They have a board that goes over their lap and write in their workbooks. Messy projects we use the kitchen table..And then sometimes they bring their board and lapbook stuff to glue in my bed. Their desks are sitting outside as I'm typing.. 

JTE11
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Well, that was my concern but if I buy any new materials it will have to be stored somewhere. Everywhere is full, unless I can get DH to put in some shelving on our bedroom wall. I was going to take out some of the toys that I have in rotation and just have fewer toys out right now. I only put out about a quarter to a third of her toys at any one time because there's no room for them all. The rest are in storage elsewhere and I bring them out (rotate) about every two weeks. Our house is one room that is living/dining/kitchen, two tiny bedrooms and a tiny bathroom. We struggle to find places for everything as it is, and I was a little apprehansive about homeschooling because I have no idea where to store materials, and where to put DD. I do much better when I am super organized and everything has a place and living in this small "house" (it's a basement) stresses me out normally because I'm constantly battling clutter. I'm glad to see people teach at the table, though, that makes me feel better about not having a desk for her. I am just imagining school supplies falling from the rafters, I guess I need to relax, lol!

Quoting hwblyf:

Her toys and books are helping her learn at this point.  Don't be too quick to get rid of them.

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting 101stwife:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Our living room is longer one direction, so we used a couch/sectional to seperate the room.   About 2/3rd of it is living room and behind the couch, we've put three narrow two-door pantries for our HSing stuff plus a small oval table.   I have three that I HS right now on three different levels.   I'm doing KG this year coming with one.. 4th grade... and 6th grade.   I also have the baby (11 months)...

My 3 pantries are completely full.   And that's not even our craft stuff, it's mostly just curriculum, resources, paper, curriculum that some have grown out of that I'm keeping for others...etc.   Our craft supplies are in a 3-drawer rolling cart in the dining room and a huge crate of stuff like egg cartons and such that I keep in my room for special projects.

Our home isnt huge.. it's a 3 br older ranch home.   Basement is wet, garage is old and not very insulated.  Bedrooms are kinda small for two people per bedroom.   No extra space except the little bit in the living room we carved out.

I definately don't need everything that we have, but with three different levels of instruction going on, it's helpful to keep us going and to save things from one child to the next.

I've seen a good system done with underbed storage boxes that some one kept on heavy duty shelves above their main-floor laundry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN