Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Desperately needing curriculum help!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, Im going to be homeschooling a 1st grader (who seems to be advanced in reading), and a 3rd grader (she is just finnishing 2nd grade and is being held back in 2nd grade with public school from lack of reading/comp and handwriting.) This is what I was going to do:

• Reading: Explode the Code (I found 2-5 including 1/2 books on swaps already)
  •  Math: MUS have Alpha - Gamma
  •  History: SOTW Vol. 1 set
  • Science: I have BJU Science 3 with tests, and Im getting Scott Foresman science 1 for my youngest
  •  I was going Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling and Winning with Writing.

Ok- my questions: 1- I have been hearing ETC isnt a solid reading curriculum, so Im freaking out ( Im on a strict budget thats why Im looking on swaps!) What else can I do if its not enough?! Also grammar, writing, and spelling is going to cost me 100$ and I can never find it on swaps or homeschoolclassified or ebay... is there anything else I can do that you can suggest? I'm going crazy I dont want to "fail" my kids with not getting them a good solid foundations in subjects.

by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Replies (11-19):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a fan of GWG, SWS, WWW, for what it's worth - I think your money could be spent better elsewhere. My suggestion for language arts:

Phonics Pathways (you can find it used for about $10; this would work for BOTH girls - they will just be at different sections of the books).

Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well Trained MInd, volume 1 (both girls); about $20 new... just copy student sheets for the extra kiddo.

Writing: Writing With Ease volume 1 - about $30

Spelling: if you aren't opposed to Catholic, you could go with Seton Spelling and it would only run you about $10 per child.

That keeps all of language arts, including phonics, under $100... and it's much stronger.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

krysxo
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I think im going to keep etc books for phonics since we bought them already. Ill team them up with some ready to read readers.
Today I bought 1st language lesson used for $11 for grammar.
Think I will try writing w ease if I can find a deal.
Still unsure for spelling. Ty for ur suggestions
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this

The best way to learn how to read is  ... to read.  This isn't rocket science, no matter what the curriculum publishers tell you.  Go to your library, get lots of easy reader books, and do a couple of pages a day.  It might take a little work on your part to find books that are using the phonics or whatever that you are using, but it really is that simple, unless your child is having an issue with "hearing" the words when they sound out, etc.  But that's not a curriculum issue.  Good luck -- and relax, you (and they) will do fine!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Google graphic organizers--here's an images result for it:  https://www.google.com/search?q=graphic+organizers&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Sk-jUbutBMblyQHR7YDYAw&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=799  They visually break out stories to help those with comprehension issues.  I'm finding my 4th grader, who's really advanced with his reading, still likes to do graphic organizers now and again.

HarrisonMD
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting RockEducation:

You can just type in recommended reading list for second graders (example) and you will have many choices.

Thank you for suggesting that! lol...I typed that in and got a list for PreK thru 5th grade...Woohoo! Awesome!

CaitsCookies
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM
See if you can find books on Charlotte Mason and on Maria Montessori at your local library. I find their methods to be more of what my family needs.
CaitsCookies
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting krysxo:

Also what is a good grammar writting spelling thats budget friendly?

copywork using the classics - Robert Louis Stevenson, etc.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Why not just let your 1st grader follow along with third grade science?   At that age, that would be more than enough science and it's A LOT easier to teach ONE science lesson to both of them rather than two seperates.. and that would save you some money. 

For spelling and vocabulary work, you could make up your own lists or use words that go along with your science and social studies work as well as sight words.   Let them both practice the same level of spelling.   Make some harder "challenge" words that will be more suited to your older child.  You don't need huge lists...you can even find age appropriate lists online.   One year, I found them free somewhere and combined the two grade levels they were in.   After that, I just went with the older one's grade level and it worked just fine.

Some people get away without handwriting curriculum.   Spend the year working on pencil control and formation of the block print letters... next year, when they are in 4th and 2nd, work on cursive for the next two years.   Remember this is your first year, you don't have to do it all.   Brief copywork is plenty for handwriting practice.

I don't know anything about Explode the code... but remember, you don't have to do it all at once.   It would spread out the spending if say... January you guys decided you'd exhausted the ETC stuff... you could buy something new then.

For English and Grammar, we just do a variety of language skills workbooks until they get to be 3rd grade level, then we add in Rod & Staff english.   It's very easy to teach and my kids are learning VERY well from it.   However, it's very hard-core, traditional english.  I've heard some people complain about it.   My kids love diagramming sentences.   We also play madlibs and a variety of other spelling, grammar, writing games.   Sometimes, we just play bananagrams.

krysxo
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I never would of thought science 1 book. Ty! With that, im done buying curriculum yah!!!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Why not just let your 1st grader follow along with third grade science?   At that age, that would be more than enough science and it's A LOT easier to teach ONE science lesson to both of them rather than two seperates.. and that would save you some money. 

For spelling and vocabulary work, you could make up your own lists or use words that go along with your science and social studies work as well as sight words.   Let them both practice the same level of spelling.   Make some harder "challenge" words that will be more suited to your older child.  You don't need huge lists...you can even find age appropriate lists online.   One year, I found them free somewhere and combined the two grade levels they were in.   After that, I just went with the older one's grade level and it worked just fine.

Some people get away without handwriting curriculum.   Spend the year working on pencil control and formation of the block print letters... next year, when they are in 4th and 2nd, work on cursive for the next two years.   Remember this is your first year, you don't have to do it all.   Brief copywork is plenty for handwriting practice.

I don't know anything about Explode the code... but remember, you don't have to do it all at once.   It would spread out the spending if say... January you guys decided you'd exhausted the ETC stuff... you could buy something new then.

For English and Grammar, we just do a variety of language skills workbooks until they get to be 3rd grade level, then we add in Rod & Staff english.   It's very easy to teach and my kids are learning VERY well from it.   However, it's very hard-core, traditional english.  I've heard some people complain about it.   My kids love diagramming sentences.   We also play madlibs and a variety of other spelling, grammar, writing games.   Sometimes, we just play bananagrams.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)