Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

security officers in elementary schools?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 14 Replies
Our county wants funding for putting security officers in all the elementary schools. Really?!?? Are things really that bad now? The next news story after that one was that starting this next school year there will be no more PE teachers in our county schools. Bye-bye PE! I'm so glad we homeschool!
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Our parish is trying to put one in. I don't have an issue with that. The issue I had was with the way they were going to pay for it. They wanted to tax all homeowners only. Thing is most the people there rent. So they wouldn't have to pay for the officer while people like me would.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Parish? Are you in Louisiana?

Quoting Dawn07:

Our parish is trying to put one in. I don't have an issue with that. The issue I had was with the way they were going to pay for it. They wanted to tax all homeowners only. Thing is most the people there rent. So they wouldn't have to pay for the officer while people like me would.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmath
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM

They have always had a resource officer in the schools around here.  It is an actual officer too.  I remember ours from when I was in school.  It just doesn't seem weird to me to have one there. 

I love how they complain about childhood obesity but cut PE from schools.  Even though kids spend the majority of their day at school and that is where and when they would have the time to exercise. 

snowangel1979
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Wouldn't the owners of the rental houses still have to pay the extra taxes? I know here, rental property owners pay a lot higher taxes per house then homesteaded properties.

We were thinking of moving to a real tourist-y town. They had great schools (top of the line everything and low class sizes) because they taxed a lot of the stuff to the rentals and summer houses. Technically those people couldn't vote against it because they weren't residents.

Next year all the schools in our district will have police officers even the elementary schools.
Which I want to know exactly what their job description is. Are they just there to watch and protect the children from outside sources or is it instead of going to the principle's office are they going to the police officer's office and be arrested for having an attitude or not doing their homework. (ect)

Quoting Dawn07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Yes.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Parish? Are you in Louisiana?

Quoting Dawn07:

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
No, it was just homeowners. Rental property was not included. If everyone would be taxed equally I would have no problem, but this was a little lopsided. I would have to pay taxes because I own a home and land, while a family down the road who has 3 boys in the public school wouldn't pay anything because they rent.
I know the one for this school would be there so that no one who was not permitted could be there. They had an incident where a mother and friend came onto school property and beat a girl up because her daughter called and asked her to. She was able to slip in through the back.
And people around here still don't understand why I homeschool.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Wouldn't the owners of the rental houses still have to pay the extra taxes? I know here, rental property owners pay a lot higher taxes per house then homesteaded properties.

We were thinking of moving to a real tourist-y town. They had great schools (top of the line everything and low class sizes) because they taxed a lot of the stuff to the rentals and summer houses. Technically those people couldn't vote against it because they weren't residents.

Next year all the schools in our district will have police officers even the elementary schools.

Which I want to know exactly what their job description is. Are they just there to watch and protect the children from outside sources or is it instead of going to the principle's office are they going to the police officer's office and be arrested for having an attitude or not doing their homework. (ect)

Quoting Dawn07:

JTROX
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Someone owns the home.  Thus the owner of the rental property, the homeowner, will pay taxes, most likely the added cost will have an effect on the rental rate.

Quoting Dawn07:

No, it was just homeowners. Rental property was not included. If everyone would be taxed equally I would have no problem, but this was a little lopsided. I would have to pay taxes because I own a home and land, while a family down the road who has 3 boys in the public school wouldn't pay anything because they rent.
I know the one for this school would be there so that no one who was not permitted could be there. They had an incident where a mother and friend came onto school property and beat a girl up because her daughter called and asked her to. She was able to slip in through the back.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Quoting Dawn07:

LadeeBellaDonna
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

They're gonna make it to where -parents- can't even come to the schools anymore if that mess keeps happening!! That's always been a peave of mine... they "encourage" parents to be involved with their kids education, but then they have all these rules against parents being on the school grounds (and by right!). They just can't find a decent compromise on that!

On the thing about taxing... I don't know how LA's tax laws are but here in TX, every homeowner is taxed school taxes, even the rental property owner. The renters themselves aren't taxed, they just pay the rate the property owner sets in place, so I'm assuming the property owner decides whether they include the taxes in the rental. I am a homeowner but I've been on both sides, I've just now really gotten to understand homeowner taxes... and I'm still confused by taxes!

It is scary that schools have gotten to that point where they need an officer. We had a scare here recently about someone from a gang making threats to someone in the middle school. They posted some of the information on Facebook but didn't give much detail. And not once did any of the parents get a notification about it... no letter or anything! They don't even notify the parents when things happen! I'm thankful it's only a few more days left then I'm homeschooling my girls!!

Quoting Dawn07:

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Our high schools have always had one. It is sad that we have to protect our babies. 8(
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I know someone owns the home. What I'm saying is it was excluded. Hence the reason so many people weren't happy, voted against it, and said try again.
There were also other red flags that made people think they were just going to stick most of it in their pocket.

Quoting JTROX:

Someone owns the home.  Thus the owner of the rental property, the homeowner, will pay taxes, most likely the added cost will have an effect on the rental rate.

Quoting Dawn07:

Quoting snowangel1979:

Quoting Dawn07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN