Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling while working full time?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I've recently decided that I want to homeschool my girls. I don't like what public schools have to offer, and my state has one of the lowest rated education systems. My DD is 3.5 years old, and is supposed to start pre-school in the fall. She is EXTREMELY advanced, but no longer even wants to go to daycare. She says she likes when mommy is her teacher. So our plan now is to hire a nanny to be home with the girl (while my hubby who works third shift sleeps) and then homeschool them when I'm home in the afternoon and on weekends possibly.

Is there any other momma's who work full time and still manage to homeschool your child/ren. Any tips or advice? Also, where do you buy curriculums?

by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
A lot of moms on here do that. Sounds like you have a good plan!
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I think the key is to be fairly organized.
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I work full time (or more) as a lawyer, my husband works full time as an engineer, and we home school  three of our four children (the fourth is at university -- he'll be a senior next year). The home schooled children are 14, almost 12 and 6.  We have hired au pairs rather than a nanny (primarily to ensure that our children speak another language -- Japanese), and I do work from home (I've put in 17 plus years with the same company, and paid my dues early).  I started working with our youngest when he was about 3.5, and I can tell you that it is extremely do-able.  The "tricks" are as follows:

(1) have a schedule, and try have a structure that is the same each day, even if the content varies a bit.  For example, every day, as soon as we get up, we do reading.  Then, while I go and get my latte (one of my few indulgences) he works on the computer doing ixl (a math drill website, which I highly recommend) and Rosetta Stone (you won't learn to speak a language with Rosetta Stone, but it's a great supplement to improve vocabulary, etc.).  When I get back, he's had breakfast, and hopefully is dressed, thanks to my husband, and I then work with him for about an hour or so, depending on the day, doing math, writing, foreign language homework, history/civics, etc. 

(2) Don't try to do it all yourself.  When we started, our youngest went to morning classes almost every day in Spanish and Japanese.  The au pair drove him there.  That allowed me to do my work and work with the other children.  We also have "farmed out" science class -- although I have also done science with the kids various years -- to the local science museum.  They have classes specifically for home schooled kids, and it works very well.  Our au pair works with the children on language home work, and on reading/writing in Japanese, and she talks to them in Japanese virtually all the time.  For the older kids, when I thought it might help to have an outside "obligation" to motivate them, I've "farmed out" writing to an online group class (although obviously I still was heavily involved), and the older kids also take language classes online, since I don't speak any language other than English, unfortunately.

(3) Have a schedule for yourselves and the house, and make sure it is a team effort.  I do my major shopping for the week on Sunday no matter what, and have the week's meals planned out.  We always change the sheets on Sunday.  I do the cooking and shopping, my husband does the dishes (although I make sure to organize stuff and/or put stuff into the dishwasher as I go).  He washes the clothes; I fold the clothes.  I scrub the bathrooms; he scoops the litter. The kids have chores, too. 

I get curricula from a variety of places.  When the children are younger for math I've used mostly Abeka (we're not Christian, but this is a good math program, and to the extent there is religious content we use it as jumping off point to discuss different beliefs), although we've recently switched to Singapore since our youngest seemed to want something more intensive (the jury is still out on whether this was a good choice, but so far, so good).  For reading, I've used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons to start, and then moved to the McGuffey Readers, but, of course, we do a lot of other reading and participate in the local "Summer Readers" program. For our youngest we're currently using Writing With Ease, Level 1, in combination with English For the Thoughtful Child.  When he was younger, I simply used handwriting sheets I made up or got online.   I really like Spelling Power -- in my opinion, it's the best spelling program out there.  DS really liked Abeka's "My America and My World."  I had certain issues with it (there were some factual inaccuracies which drove me nuts), but it gave him a good start in civics, U.S. history and geography.  We'll be moving to Story of the World for the next school year for world history.  

Good luck to you!   And feel free to message me if you have questions.    

QueenCreole313
by Julia on May. 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I do! You can do it! 

coala
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We both work from home FT.  It is totally doable.  We make sure to start our days no later than 9....which means they are onto their schoolwork no later than 930.  We have a list of responsibilites that the kids have to take care of.  I do meal planning once a month and try to get the bulk of my shopping in once a month.  I make sure that I run my errands on a light day for the kids so that Daddy isn't hit with so many questions about what comes next.  He has been duped before and let a little one do her art project before completeing other things....silly Daddy.  You will figure out a schedule and what works for you.  We have tried a few different things and we are always looking for ways to make it better and easier for us.

crzy4crm
by on May. 28, 2013 at 8:02 AM
We've homeschooled for three years and I an considering going back to work. I was wondering also if it were still possible to keep homeschooling. I'm so glad you asked. I have three children, twin boys that are nine and an 11 year old daughter. My daughter wants to go back to school, but the boys want to stay home. I'm hoping it works out for you and me both! :)
megthompson920
by on May. 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I know it will work out for us both!! I know it's doable, it's going to be a lot of scheduling to make sure everything gets done. I don't know where you live, but where I live, the state is very strict with testing to make sure they stay up to par or whatever. So, I have to make sure that we really stay on top of it!

Quoting crzy4crm:

We've homeschooled for three years and I an considering going back to work. I was wondering also if it were still possible to keep homeschooling. I'm so glad you asked. I have three children, twin boys that are nine and an 11 year old daughter. My daughter wants to go back to school, but the boys want to stay home. I'm hoping it works out for you and me both! :)

AmyG1976
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM

i know a single dad who homeschools my oldst also has 2 friends from her former "lets hang out during the week one day every week non school work" co-op thing that had parents that both worked in fact both the moms were teachers (that to me says a LOT about the schools). you do work that works for you. I never ever bought a full curriculum seen too many people say not to esp in the begining and I am very glad I never did. prek I would do like time4learning.com and or reading eggs and starfall, bob books we did.  get some lil work books that work with the kids needs without being too easy or too hard for at that age and do work about 3 days a week for about an hour or two

rhiannonaisling
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I looked into k12.com which supplies online schools or allows you to purchase courses (with or without teacher support). The curriculum is on a par with private education and provides you with a credentialed teacher for backup. And you have your choice of 2 of these subjects music, art and foreign language. But you are there primary teacher. Plus you can add any other subject that is not there (such as religion).This works really well for us as one of my children is sped and both have adhd. Plus, if you go the online school route, they provide all of the materials including teacher and student books, art supplies, science supplies, etc. You only supply items that you would reasonably have on hand anyways (my dd is in 7th grade and dissected a chicken wing this year) like construction paper, pens, pencils, etc. They provide you with a computer (in the early years computer time averages out to less than an hour a day with the rest of the time learning from you) and a printer. So this is the route we took. It helps keep me organized and costs me no more than sending them to a regular school and saves me a lot of hassle and them a lot of undue stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)