Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has anyone tried

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 16 Replies
A Beka Book curriculum? Thinking of getting it to teach K and 1st.
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I have used the entire curriculum for both K and 1st grade.  We LOVE it.  My girls are thriving with this curriculum.  We have chosen to use their accredited program and I don't think it is challenging enough for my youngest.  She is so far ahead in her language arts area.  We may rethink this for 2nd grade for her.  We have already purchased 1st and 2nd grade for next year.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Here's a bump!

trendy2
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM
My son is completing public K now. He is reading on 1st grade level. He is very smart. Looking for a program that will encourage that. This will be my first attempt at HS.

Quoting coala:

I have used the entire curriculum for both K and 1st grade.  We LOVE it.  My girls are thriving with this curriculum.  We have chosen to use their accredited program and I don't think it is challenging enough for my youngest.  She is so far ahead in her language arts area.  We may rethink this for 2nd grade for her.  We have already purchased 1st and 2nd grade for next year.

trendy2
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM
How expensive is it? What do I need to purchase?

Quoting coala:

coala
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Depends on whether you want to accredited version or not?

We are accredited and we spent about $965 for the year....that is all books and teacher materials.  We are using the DVD program.

If you go non-accredited your costs are going to less expensive.  My best suggestion would be to go to their site and find a materials display near you.  They have them once a month locally for us.  We are centrally located to about 3 locations that they use.  You will meet a local rep and our personal experience with ours has been wonderful.  You can put your hands on the books and look through them all the way through 12th grade.  They can also answer just about any question that you have.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I have used ABeka for 20 yrs. Very good curriculum.  That said I wouldn't bother spending money on K. You honestly don't need it.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

And as far as cost. It really isn't expensive as long as you don't use their accredited stuff or buy all the extras.  I only bought the text book for younger grades and did not buy the teacher's/answer until middle school or even high school. 

trendy2
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM
You wouldn't buy for K? What's the difference of the two? Accredited or not?

Quoting bren_darlene:

And as far as cost. It really isn't expensive as long as you don't use their accredited stuff or buy all the extras.  I only bought the text book for younger grades and did not buy the teacher's/answer until middle school or even high school. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I don't have the curriculum, but I've picked up a ton of their readers at garage sales and such for cheap, and I really enjoy just letting my kids read them.   They've learned a lot from them.

We are more ecclectic by putting different curriculum and some of our own materials and such together.   This next year, we have a blend of Rod & Staff, Apologia, MathUsee, Teaching with God's heart for the World, My Father's World, etc...   I even have an SOS elementary spanish CD.   We also teach from library videos and more.    This year has more actual CURRICULUM because my kids are getting older and now I'm responsible for THREE of their education plus baby.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't buy it because as far as I am concerned it is a waste of money.  Color with your child, read, do puzzles, talk to them, go to the library and find interesting books, ect..  They will learn all they need :-)    I was gonna paste a couple links here about being accredited but it won't let me paste. I will do it below :-)

Quoting trendy2:

You wouldn't buy for K? What's the difference of the two? Accredited or not?

Quoting bren_darlene:

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)