Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"I don't buy my kids name brands"

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
  • 44 Replies

We had a wedding this weekend and there was a couple sitting at the same table as us  who we didn't know.  Well a conversation started about name brands.  This couple stated that they don't buy their kids name brands, the guys saying this while he's wearing an Under Armour sweatshirt. Seriously this guy was trying so hard to act like they have it all but don't spoil their kids. It was funny because one of his boys actually says how much he likes Nike. They all had some noticeable piece of clothing on that was a name brand. They couldn't help braging about how they just bought a new camper and a new truck to haul it and all this other crap, I was ready to change tables!

I really don't care what my kids wear. I do buy certain things because I know they last or are comfortable. Both my kids have Under Armour, Nike, Adidas among other name brands. We don't show off or say we only buy certain expensive clothing. My youngest loves Target leggings, I like their layering Ts but I also will only buy their yoga pants at the Gap or Old Navy only because that is what fit my girls and I've tried other brands and they don't hold up.

I have a sister in law that brags that her 7 year old will only wear clothes from Abercrombie. That's such a joke no kid that young will only wear a certain name brand, they wear that because it's been drilled into their head (which is what my SIL does)

What do you think? Do you only buy name brand? 

by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I have not bought ds ANY name brand clothes. All he name brand clothes ds has is given to us. He has had Calvin Klein and Nike but again I didn't buy them. If I did buy name brand it would be second hand.
Lynette
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
For me it's not about brand names but the quality and materials used. Socks can't contain any polyester, makes their feet itch. Pretty hard to find. So there they stand in their clearanced Walmart, Target, or garage sale clothes wearing Nike or Gap socks. Clothes have to not contain polyester, so I read all tags for fabric content. I can buy those anywhere if i watch tags. Shoes are Nike, NB, or other names. If I buy them cheap shoes from Walmart or something the skin on the bottom of their feet bubbles and peels. Not sure if its the adhesives they use or the fake leather. So shoes are brand name. In the winter I really do like Columbia coats, they hold heat better, huge score when I can buy them used, but I will buy them new. I tend to buy more brand names for my boys because I have 3 that will wear it via hand me downs, certain brandnames hold up better. For my 1 and only daughter though I go cheaper when I can because it only needs to hold up for one child.
lil_mama06
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We get our name brands from Goodwill/Thrift stores if they have them..We tell our girls "If you want name brand clothes, save your money and buy them yourselves"..Our oldest 2 wanted to go shopping..And they looked around the shop they wanted to go to and said "Can you take us to Walmart or Kmart? we can buy more clothes for our money, than we can here"..They learned..I bought my teen daughter Cassie a Aeropostale jacket for 2 bucks at Goodwill outlet..However Briana's now mil thought it was cute that Bree had NEVER heard of most name brands..To me clothes are clothes..

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I buy what I can afford and what DS likes.  He doesn't care about name brands and neither do I.  If I find something in my price range I'll buy it. 

JCB911
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Our kids are 3 and 5, they wear hand-me-downs from friends,rummage sale clothes and whatever they get as gifts, and goodwill. The only new they have are the gifts. I only buy new (on sale) if we don't have something they need, but that is rare since I stock up at summer rummage sales.

so no, we don't buy namebrand, i even warn the kids that cartoon characters on grocery boxes are trying to trick them, same with name brands.
usmom3
by BJ on May. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this
The only way my kids get name brand is if it is second hand. I don't want my kids to grow up to be consumers like everyone else if I did I would have just sent then to public school since that is one of the main things learned there is how to be a good consumer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

When I need a name brand or better clothing for some reason, usually outdoor performance, I buy it. If I need long underwear to keep DD warm I will buy her some kind of technical brand, not just the long johns from Walmart. I buy her Thinsulate gloves. If I need her to have a warm ski outfit I will buy a better brand so she can get waterproofing and stay warmer. That kind of thing. I buy all of her play clothes from thrift stores, and probably at least half of her good clothes, too. I can get brand new and brand name clothing there for two bucks per item but I don't look for that. I just choose clothing that she needs and if it's brand name it is but it doesn't matter to me. I think it's silly to buy all brand name clothes for your kid since they grow out of them so quickly but if the family has got their financial house in order and can afford it, that's fine. Frankly they can spend their money how they like and I don't care but for the sake of answering this question I think it's silly to sink all of that money into somethign that won't fit long enough to be worn out.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Name brand to me is Old Navy and Target. LOL Sometimes, I buy it. A lot of times we thrift shop.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I buy what I can afford that is usually on sale.  I prefer a certain brand of pants for my youngest, but I don't "hunt" them down.  They are the only brand on the market that actually fit her like they should.  I don't brag about what we own or don't own. 

My oldest has a ton of brand name hand me downs.  I like that that mom had great taste and that the clothes have now lasted through 2 kids and are going to be save for a third.  I am not super picky, but I make sure that what we get is quality and will last.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

The only time we ever bought "name brand" was in second hand stores. lol   None of us cared about it and being home educated the children didn't feel that kind of pressure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN