Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"I don't buy my kids name brands"

Posted by   + Show Post

We had a wedding this weekend and there was a couple sitting at the same table as us  who we didn't know.  Well a conversation started about name brands.  This couple stated that they don't buy their kids name brands, the guys saying this while he's wearing an Under Armour sweatshirt. Seriously this guy was trying so hard to act like they have it all but don't spoil their kids. It was funny because one of his boys actually says how much he likes Nike. They all had some noticeable piece of clothing on that was a name brand. They couldn't help braging about how they just bought a new camper and a new truck to haul it and all this other crap, I was ready to change tables!

I really don't care what my kids wear. I do buy certain things because I know they last or are comfortable. Both my kids have Under Armour, Nike, Adidas among other name brands. We don't show off or say we only buy certain expensive clothing. My youngest loves Target leggings, I like their layering Ts but I also will only buy their yoga pants at the Gap or Old Navy only because that is what fit my girls and I've tried other brands and they don't hold up.

I have a sister in law that brags that her 7 year old will only wear clothes from Abercrombie. That's such a joke no kid that young will only wear a certain name brand, they wear that because it's been drilled into their head (which is what my SIL does)

What do you think? Do you only buy name brand? 

by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM
The biggest name brand my kids wear is Hot Topic. Me too.
katinahat
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I don't care, honestly. I'll buy name brand if it's on sale and I like it. I'll buy not name brand if it's a good price and I like it. I just don't care-- about status or physical humility.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I buy both. Walmart is great for everyday play clothes. I usually shop jcpenny, target, children's place, and old navy for things I need to last longer. I try to hit them when they are having sales though.
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM
We are not big on name brands. sure if someone passes us some or I find it at the thrift store I get very excited. Some of their nicer stuff may come from Kohl's or old navy. But that is usually a couple outfits a season, or a couple of key pieces(pullovers, a pair of jeans etc.). The rest is from walmartWalmart, homemade, or thrifted. :)
it is a little different for their shoes. play shoes I will get from walmart..but their tennis shoes and winter boots are usually from Sears. the last time we got boots/tennis shoes at walmartWalmart (for winter) they fell apart half way through the winter. Frustrating.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM
My kids wear Granimals. And everything else is what ever is cheapest and I like. The kids are so hard on their clothes right now.
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand that. :) my kids go through them like crazy. My son (will be. On Thursday) has not outgrown a pair of pants in 5 years with the knees still intact. Haha
I love granimals. ;)

Quoting debramommyof4:My kids wear Granimals. And everything else is what ever is cheapest and I like. The kids are so hard on their clothes right now.
lucsch
by on May. 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I can truthfully say that no one in our house cares much about clothing--as long as it is clean and presentable.  This includes my public-schooled sons. The only way we get namebrands is if we happen to find something that is well-fitting at Goodwill.

Now, musical instruments are a different story! I spent more on my flute than some people spend on a good, used car. LOL It is all about priorities. Even then, it wasn't about money or name brand--it was about performance. Same applies to the piano I bought.

arwalters
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I don't buy Nike, Gap, Banana Republic or Walmart brand b/c they use child labor and/or sweat shops to make their products
crzy4crm
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Some things are name brand. Either they are received as gifts, bought at thrift stores, or on sale really cheap. And I agree some things last longer. Walmart shoes on my boys are usually no good. My kids don't care about the name. Same for me, I buy mine where I buy theirs.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Name brand clothing...no. Only if its gifted to any of us, do we have nambe brand clothing. I will, for me, buy only Nike shoes - but thats because they fit me best and I don't need new shoes every year. For my kids, they get whatever fits and whatever we can afford.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)