Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"I don't buy my kids name brands"

Posted by   + Show Post

We had a wedding this weekend and there was a couple sitting at the same table as us  who we didn't know.  Well a conversation started about name brands.  This couple stated that they don't buy their kids name brands, the guys saying this while he's wearing an Under Armour sweatshirt. Seriously this guy was trying so hard to act like they have it all but don't spoil their kids. It was funny because one of his boys actually says how much he likes Nike. They all had some noticeable piece of clothing on that was a name brand. They couldn't help braging about how they just bought a new camper and a new truck to haul it and all this other crap, I was ready to change tables!

I really don't care what my kids wear. I do buy certain things because I know they last or are comfortable. Both my kids have Under Armour, Nike, Adidas among other name brands. We don't show off or say we only buy certain expensive clothing. My youngest loves Target leggings, I like their layering Ts but I also will only buy their yoga pants at the Gap or Old Navy only because that is what fit my girls and I've tried other brands and they don't hold up.

I have a sister in law that brags that her 7 year old will only wear clothes from Abercrombie. That's such a joke no kid that young will only wear a certain name brand, they wear that because it's been drilled into their head (which is what my SIL does)

What do you think? Do you only buy name brand? 

by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Only second hand in reguar everyday clothes, but our camping/hiking/hunting stuff is all specific brands.  It is very important for our long hikes to have good clothes that fit properly, keep them warm, and wick the sweat away.  Oh yeah, and are light enough to pack in and out enough to keep them dry even when we hike through creeks.

HippieMomma86
by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM

If my kids wear a brand-name, it's because they picked it out at a thrift store. They have tons of clothes and love buying more so we only take them to thrift stores. They grow so much I can't imagine spending more than $5 on an article of clothing. Occasionally if there is a clearance they will get something brand new, but usually from Target/Sears. I don't see why kids need to be caught up in brand name/expensive things.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It just depends I guess. My kids don't wear athletic branded stuff (Nike, Adidas, etc) both because it's not necessary and usually when choosing sneakers they are looking for attractive and I'm looking for quality + price. :) Sometimes they have had New Balance sneakers but sometimes, it's just Jumping Beans or Skechers. 

They do have some name brand stuff but most of it was hand-me-downs from cousins or friends. My daughter loves clothes from Justice. I've bought maybe 2 or 3 items there myself, the rest is all hand-me-downs.

My son is oblivious to anything he puts on his body.

MamaDearie
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I buy whatever fits my children the best, whatever they happen to like, and whatever fits into our budget (and yep- every piece of clothing has to match all 3 criteria- lol). They (ages 9, 4 1/2, and 2 1/2) could not care less about brands. They do care very much about certain colors and patterns- lol. With our tight budget,  I look at clothing as an investment. I am likely to spend more money on items like shoes because they can effect how their feet grow and so forth as opposed to shirts or shorts. Sometimes that means buying name brand shoes because I know they are made better. I love that my kids are so brand-oblivious and instead like things because they speak to their personalities.

Christian, extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, vaccinating, balanced discipling, rural living, pro-life, anti-death penalty, anti-government involvement, stay-at-home homeschooling mama of 3 in a traditional marriage with traditional gender roles

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM

We typically shop at Walmart. We don't have an Old Navy or anything like that here. My kids don't realize there is a thing called "name brand".

mrs.hartman12
by on May. 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I prefer to spend more money on shoes because they last longer. I don't like to buy clothes from walmart because they fall apart too fast. I mostly browse clearance racks to save $$. You get what you pay for in my experiance. 

oredeb
by on May. 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM

hahahah i never pay attention to what brands i buy in clothing or food!

rhiannonaisling
by on May. 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Name brand is a rare treat for anyone in my family and is usually a hand me down or from the thrift store. My son has a raiders jacket that was given to us (I can't stand them), my dd has a designer leather jacket (the equivalent jacket is almost $300 we found it at goodwill in perfect condition for $20), I have a polo jacket ($25 on extreme sale instead of $150). I did buy one son a pair of name brand shoes off of amazon because they looked like they would hold up (when they came I almost returned them because they looked so flimsy but they have lasted him longer than any other tennis shoes have...5.5 months now instead of 2-3 if lucky) but I don't remember the brand.

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I buy most of my boys clothes at consignment sales and sometimes the clothes are name brands.  Buying name brands is not important to my family. 

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I buy what I find a good deal on...as far as I can tell none of those stores have ever had a deal too good to pass up, but I won't be a reverse snob and tell you I'd never shop there. We love hand me downs, we love our favorite thrift store, though I only buy gently used stuff that I know will hold up, and we love the clearance racks at Kohl's. I shop clearance at Walmart sometimes, but most of their stuff is so crappy that it falls apart long before the kids outgrow it. When I had one kid I could afford the clearance racks at Target, but with four it's a rare occasion when I find something I can actually afford.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN