Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"I don't buy my kids name brands"

Posted by   + Show Post

We had a wedding this weekend and there was a couple sitting at the same table as us  who we didn't know.  Well a conversation started about name brands.  This couple stated that they don't buy their kids name brands, the guys saying this while he's wearing an Under Armour sweatshirt. Seriously this guy was trying so hard to act like they have it all but don't spoil their kids. It was funny because one of his boys actually says how much he likes Nike. They all had some noticeable piece of clothing on that was a name brand. They couldn't help braging about how they just bought a new camper and a new truck to haul it and all this other crap, I was ready to change tables!

I really don't care what my kids wear. I do buy certain things because I know they last or are comfortable. Both my kids have Under Armour, Nike, Adidas among other name brands. We don't show off or say we only buy certain expensive clothing. My youngest loves Target leggings, I like their layering Ts but I also will only buy their yoga pants at the Gap or Old Navy only because that is what fit my girls and I've tried other brands and they don't hold up.

I have a sister in law that brags that her 7 year old will only wear clothes from Abercrombie. That's such a joke no kid that young will only wear a certain name brand, they wear that because it's been drilled into their head (which is what my SIL does)

What do you think? Do you only buy name brand? 

by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
finnbar
by on May. 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I am still reeling from the mental image of some nouveau riche wearing a sweatshirt to a wedding. Regardless of the brand!
u
CatFishMom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I refuse to buy ANYTHING name brand (unless you count Carter's and OshKosh for the little ones) unless the logo is completely nonexistent. My children (and I, myself) are not walking billboards for those stupid companies. I do shop consignment shops so once in a blue moon I'll end up with something that happens to be name brand, but like I said-if the logo or the company name is on the outside, I put it right back on the rack without even looking twice. When we shop Once Upon a Child, they also price according to name brand, so I'll find a really cute dress (my first girl is due soon) and when I look at the tag and it's twice or triple the price of the other cute dress already in my cart and I find the name on the tag is 'x', I put it back, too. Im not paying for a name.

GirlIsBlue114
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I buy names brands at the thrift store or yard sales, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof697
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I do not only but name brands but nor do I not buy them. If it is cheaper or will hold up through all my kids (I have 5) then we will get it. I just bought my son 2 pair of new shoes they were $10. each I did not notice the brand I bought them because he needs them. Both pair are fusion x5, I do not even know if that is a name brand or not. The store I bought them from does have name brand stuff but I have never heard of this brand. I bought what I can afford and what will last.     My DD just spent her allowance at old navy and bought quite a few pieces of clothes.  just saying I am not brand loyal.

AmyG1976
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

for the most part I do because some name brands are made better last longer use cotton... got two of my kids some cheap shoes from walmart fell apart in a week with out playing in them but same 2kids sketchers and nikes zigs are like brand new months later being in the mud rain ect ect

AmyG1976
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM

yep I do this too I should of added not all are bought brand new or at full price. and SALES at the nike store I shopped sales got 2 kids shoes for $40 paid the same at payless once... got my other son new DCs at the store that sells them for $30 and then the thift stores and yard sales hell ya got lots of great deals on name brand clothes that still looked nice no fadding that I find on most no name brand used cloths  and spend less than buying new at walmart...

Quoting GirlIsBlue114:

I buy names brands at the thrift store or yard sales, lol!

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

finnbar
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I do buy some name brands, primarily for their quality of construction, materials and durability. I do not prefer anything where the entire point of the garment is to advertise some logo.
I always look for clearance sales and gently used items.
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I can't get past the point that he was wearing a sweat-shirt at a wedding.

QueenAtargatis
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I buy everything second hand, aside from socks, underwear, and shoes. The brand name has little effect on the liklihood that I'll purchase it, although I do prefer things that are well made. =]

blueyedbaker
by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

We were thinking the same thing. It was a casual wedding. He had khaki pants on, he must have put the sweatshirt on some time during the wedding. I don't remember, I just know that it was very strange that he was talking about name brands and how they don't buy them for the kids but yet he was wearing a name brand! What message is he sending to his kids... seriously.

Quoting finnbar:

I am still reeling from the mental image of some nouveau riche wearing a sweatshirt to a wedding. Regardless of the brand!
u

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)