Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you turn holidays into lessons?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

We are not officially homeschooling yet, BUT I felt the need to talk about the importance of Memorial Day, the armed services and how they have shaped our country. 

We are watching a few things and have checked out some books. I also come from a military family, so my cousins and my step dad have been talking to the kids about what it means to serve their country. My kids have been really interested and have been asking a lot of questions.

Do you also turn holidays or special events into lessons? 

by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovingmylife6
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

DEFINATLY!!  In my opinion Holidays are a perfect time to teach about history, geneaology and traditions.  Along with bible if you are doing that.

katinahat
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

My daughter is still too young, but I'm already hoarding holiday lessons and activities. I love seasonal and holiday themes :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Yes, even though he has been in ps I have always talked about certain holidays and what they really mean.  I think they are great teaching times and there are so many ways to have fun with them.

oredeb
by on May. 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM

when we first started hsing we did but not anymore

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I prefer to turn lessons into holidays.  I make all lessons fun and engaging.  When I have special holidays I will mention them but I don't make them the focus of our day.  I do chose to honor servicemen every day while homeschooling.  I fully support all servicemen but I am not a fan of what they are fighting for.  I make sure my kids understand the differnece.

mrs.hartman12
by on May. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Mine is still young but yes we will! For us learning never stops based on a schedule. Plus holidays are such a great time to learn, especially ones that have lots of roots like Christmas time. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Not really we do talk about the why's of the holidays but not really lessons. 

usmom3
by BJ on May. 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

We usually talk about it & if I come across some good articals or websites on the holiday we will read/look at them.

catrig
by on May. 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM

That's a really good idea.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Yes, well not all, and not every year but we do in regular day to day activity. Sometimes I do printable for holidays, sometimes not.

For Memorial day, we almost always go to the National Cemetery, or our local cemetery, and place flags on the graves. It is a very humbling and emotional process.

DH was in the Army and lost friends so I go out of my way to do something special that day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN