Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seriously.. What is the difference? Homeschooling or Schooling at home.

Posted by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 30 Replies

I am not being snarky, I am not being rhetorical.. I mean it with all my heart!

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!

I admit I probably have been doing schooling at home.. Because I really only have the experiance of what I did as a kid at public school..

Some of you will remember my post from a few weeks ago about failing my son.. from our first year at homeschooling..(and that plan btw HAS CHANGED.) But I am learning that there apparently are some huge differences.. but I can't put my finger on it and explain it.. or truely conceptualize it!

Click this siggy to check out my new BLOG!

by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I was a mom who went from public school to homeschool. The first year is the hardest and you mess it up more often than not from what I have seen. But that is ok.

Homeschooling is about educating your child in all ways. I used to think education was about the books and what they pumped out. But now I see more thank that. I see the imagination, the exploration, the learning in their mistakes. I see learning in all things that we do.

I think a lot of it is about letting go and trying new things which is horrifying to new homeschoolers. It takes time to build your confidence. We are taught as parents that we can't possibly educate our children at home. Yet we were their first teachers and showed them how to walk, talk, eat with spoon and fork, etc. We send them to schools and are told to trust them and do as they say. But now it is about what you say and what you and the kids can do. No more limits. That is so scary. What if you screw up? Then learn from it. Have the kids learn from it.

You can do this. The fact that you are questioning means you are ready.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend who does K-12 with her son at home. He has to spend X number of hours per day on each subject, he has to meet with a 'real' teacher once a week, and she has to meet with his therapists (he has an IEP) on regular intervals too. She does not choose 95% of what he learns - it's chosen by the government. He receives free lunch (so she gets $10/week) and in all ways is considered a child enrolled in their public school system, he just does it at home rather than in a brick & mortar school building. She ALWAYS refers to it as "school at home," because it's school, but he does it at home.

On the other hand, "homeschooling" in general (IMO) means you take more liberties with what you teach and the experiences your children will have. Depending on your state, you might be required to cover certain subject areas or topics, but overall you, as the parent, decide which hours of the day to spend on learning activities, where to take field trips, how to approach various topics, etc. Homeschooling is teaching your children at home, yourself. It might look like a typical school, if that's what you want it to look like, but it might not. It's all individualized. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I got the chills when I read this. I know someone who does this as well. Her son is agorphobic and this was the answer from the public school system. The mother works at her restaurant all day while her son sits in a back booth by himself with his laptop doing all his school work. They then go home and watch television. That is their day. It weirds me out. He gets no socialization, he is limited to the subjects presented to him, he has no drive, no joy, no inclination to continue his education another day. It is just so sad.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I have a friend who does K-12 with her son at home. He has to spend X number of hours per day on each subject, he has to meet with a 'real' teacher once a week, and she has to meet with his therapists (he has an IEP) on regular intervals too. She does not choose 95% of what he learns - it's chosen by the government. He receives free lunch (so she gets $10/week) and in all ways is considered a child enrolled in their public school system, he just does it at home rather than in a brick & mortar school building. She ALWAYS refers to it as "school at home," because it's school, but he does it at home.

On the other hand, "homeschooling" in general (IMO) means you take more liberties with what you teach and the experiences your children will have. Depending on your state, you might be required to cover certain subject areas or topics, but overall you, as the parent, decide which hours of the day to spend on learning activities, where to take field trips, how to approach various topics, etc. Homeschooling is teaching your children at home, yourself. It might look like a typical school, if that's what you want it to look like, but it might not. It's all individualized. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I'm not sure I was clear in the description of my friend, if it gave you chills. She doesn't do what you describe. She works with him throughout the day. Some of what he does is on the computer, but some of it (like reading with her, or phonics games) they do together. Her son has sensory integration disorder and being in a noisy, busy classroom really stresses him out.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Okay this is how I would explain it.... schooling at home is homeschooling, BUT not all homeschooling is school-at-home.  School at home is when you have a set number of hours to sit and work on set lessons plans that come mostly out of books and workbooks.  It is like having a public school classroom invade your home.  (yes, I am biased BUT...) I don't consider people who do this for one or two subjects OR who do this for 1-2 days of the week OR who do it when it is needed as school-at-home families.  When your schedule reads like a public school schedule (Math 9:00-10:00, Phonics 10:00-11:00, Reading 11:00-12:00, lunch 12-12:30, Science 12:30-1:30, History 1:30-2:30, snack 2:30-3, Gym/nutrition/health 3-4) Then you are school-at-home learning.  It is easier to burn out and you fear not "completing" your curriculum.
Homeschooling is when you do whatever you need to do to get your child learning and loving to learn.  You take lots of field trips OR you learn science outside OR you learn history by making historical foods and games OR you learn spelling by playing Scrabble today.  Your schedule is more like... we'll do math, phonics, and reading this morning and then we may get to take a break and watch the butterfly come out of its cocoon.  It is any or all of the things in this entire post, because school-at-home is ONE version of homeschooling.

Does that make sense?

lucsch
by on May. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I think any homeschooling that seeks to emulate the classroom environment is known as "school-at-home."

Really,  do what seems to work well with your child, and don't worry about labels. Taking charge of the education of your child is homeschooling.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey, I didn't even think of this, there is also Public School at Home.  That is using a public online school at home (K12, Connections Academy, Etc)

oredeb
by on May. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM

to me homeschooling/schooling at home is doing any kind of school method/work at home, no matter how long or short it takes,

being at home without the 20  other students makes a big difference in how much you learn no matter how you hs at home! its definitely to the kids benefit being at home no matter how we decide to do it!

i dont see why there should be a difference between  schooling at home or homeschooling, we need to stick together because i think any kind of schooling at home is gona get harder as the years go by.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

To me, school at home is when you have a rigid schedule, a rigid curriculum, and a grade book, a desk set apart from the rest of the home, and an idea that you MUST meet these goals in this prescribed time period or your child will be "behind"! That stressed me out just typing it! Homeschooling, for me, means there is no classtime. I don't say, oh gosh its 9:30 and we havent started math.  Math happens sometime after dishes are done, but before we have lunch. Oh, and reading can take place anytime before dinner. Sometimes science happens on a Saturday. Learning takes place year round, anywhere in the house. We use curriculum, but its not my boss. We don't have a schoolroom, we learn where we're comfortable. I'm not trying to keep up with public school, so I don't freak if I don't finish a book by June 1st. That's the difference between homeschooling and school at home.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM
*hides in the bunker* lol this is one of those topics that can get bumpy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN