Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I didn't realize it was such a lively debate!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been browsing a post on another group about whether or not a you should have a college degree to home school your children. I never knew it was such a hot topic.

What I would like is all of your perspectives. While I will never discount the opinion of someone else, I think the perspective of a person who actually DOES home school has a bit more validity than those who do not.

by on May. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (41-50):
bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I don't think that you need a degree to homeschool.  There are many resources available to help you homeschool through curriculum, library, and internet.

devildogtigress
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Okay...now in dying....what group is this?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

I had to leave the thread, you can't debate intelligently in that group. 

mrs.hartman12
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM

The confessions group, but I have been around long enough I should have known better lol. 

Quoting devildogtigress:

Okay...now in dying....what group is this?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

I had to leave the thread, you can't debate intelligently in that group. 

finnbar
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this
It's almost like they've been brainwashed into being compliant public school supporting sheeple....

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romacox:

Home educated children outperform public schooled children, and that is true even if the parent holds no degree Case in point...no degree needed. 

People on the thread in the other group tried to give statistics and they were not believed because they come from pro-homeschooling sites.  So this one from HSLDA would not be "okay" because the HSDLA is a pro-homeschooling site.

However no one minds that most of the public school statistics come from the public school sector....Sigh

usmom3
by BJ on May. 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM
3 moms liked this

They all have a condition called Stockholm Syndrome very few people come out of the public school system not affected by it & even fewer who have it are aware they have the condition from being in the public school.

Quoting finnbar:

It's almost like they've been brainwashed into being compliant public school supporting sheeple....

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romacox:

Home educated children outperform public schooled children, and that is true even if the parent holds no degree Case in point...no degree needed. 

People on the thread in the other group tried to give statistics and they were not believed because they come from pro-homeschooling sites.  So this one from HSLDA would not be "okay" because the HSDLA is a pro-homeschooling site.

However no one minds that most of the public school statistics come from the public school sector....Sigh

finnbar
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM
This is a brilliant observation! I have never thought about the public schooled mentality in this light. The kids who do not accept their captivity are the ones given labels and put on drugs.

Quoting usmom3:

They all have a condition called Stockholm Syndrome very few people come out of the public school system not affected by it & even fewer who have it are aware they have the condition from being in the public school.

Quoting finnbar:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romacox:

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I swear I want to reach through the computer and slap honeyrder. She has constantly lied about homeschooling in GA in that thread. First she claimed that homeschoolers in GA have to take the GED to go to college or join the military. When I posted links that proved her wrong she changed it to the college she works for. I posted the homeschool alternative admission policies for the tech school system that sets the polices for the school she works for. She tried to claim that I wasn't telling the truth and then c/p info that in fact backed me up. She seems to think that the word alternative means in addition to (the policy stated that students with diplomas from non-accredited high schools need to take the GED but listed homeschoolers as an exception as long as they met the alternative requirements). Yes I then stooped to her level and belittled the fac that she works for "just" a tech school. However, honestly the tech schools that are a part of that system do not have a good reputation around here. She really seems to think that people need to believe her without questioning her because she works for a vo-tech school.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I tend to call it "in the box" syndrome. They are unable to think outside of the box because they spent 12-13 years being educated in a literal and figurative box.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting finnbar:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romacox:

bmw29
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so. I think all you need is the will and the ability to read. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a degree but what I have is a willingness to seek outside help if I need it.  I think that's important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN