Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Transitioning into HS?

Posted by on May. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 13 Replies
I've heard its good to transition into homeschool sometimes. 1st yr and they have been in public school... any ideas? Im just so excited my 1st hurdle is over all curriculum is bought woohoo! Thanks ladies ur awesome!!!
by on May. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I am going to be doing some stuff with him this summer.  Workbook activities, reading and science experiments mostly.  Nothing too taxing, just to get him into it and see how we work together and what works best for us.  Right now he is super excited and I want to keep that excitement going.

usmom3
by BJ on May. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I am a firm believer in a transition period between public school & homeschooling. We did not transition as long as we should have with our oldest & I could tell that it made things harder on all of us. So if you can afford a 1 month time period for every year they went to public school it will be time well spent in the long run.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Take a break enjoy let them understand about homeschool. Set schedule everyday. Understanding learning styles levels they are on for math reading writing

Quoting krysxo:

I've heard its good to transition into homeschool sometimes. 1st yr and they have been in public school... any ideas? Im just so excited my 1st hurdle is over all curriculum is bought woohoo! Thanks ladies ur awesome!!!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM

We spent a month or two of a kind of quiet time, gradually easing into our routine, but we also pulled them mid-year and used Christmas vacation as part of that time.  I would make sure I talk about it plenty over the summer and do things together :).  When are you planning to start?  And, you may have addressed this, but I haven't been around lately.  What curriculum did you decide to use?

krysxo
by on May. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Im doing math u see. Bju science. Phonics and reading is etc and books. Writing w ease and 1st language. Oh and story of the world. Ive been talking about it for 2mos and will over summer. They have seen a somewhat basic schedule till we see what works for us. They are excited :)
krysxo
by on May. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I will prolly start endbof july or aug 1st since I still need basic supplies and printer
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM
This

Quoting usmom3:

I am a firm believer in a transition period between public school & homeschooling. We did not transition as long as we should have with our oldest & I could tell that it made things harder on all of us. So if you can afford a 1 month time period for every year they went to public school it will be time well spent in the long run.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Just tell yourself that there is no rush or time line?
oredeb
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

are you talking about deschooling?

krysxo
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Im not sure.. there last day of public school is june 8th. I heard it wasnt good to rush into your homeschool curriculum? Sorry 1st yr so I know nothing lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN