Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

100 Easy Lessons vs. Sing, Spell, Read Write

Posted by on May. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
Does anyone prefer one over the other? And if so, why?
I am looking to get my child started at the kindergarten level either which and am
Just not sure which way to go.

Thanks,
by on May. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oredeb
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

not used any of them, but ive heard good things about both!! i know not very helpful!!

Lynette
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Tried 100lessons with my oldest, it did not work for him at all. Then went onto sing spell read & write. That worked great for us. I would say borrow 100 lessons from your local library or another homeschooler and try it for a week or 2. If it feels right buy your own copy. It is so much cheaper then sing spell that it is worth a try. So many homeschoolers swear by 100 lessons that I would try it before investing in Sing spell.
Right now I am working on finding the right approach with my 2nd child. Sing Spell did not click for him. So now I am going to try another approach. My oldest son is a very auditory learner where as my 2nd is more of a visual learner. As much as I like the phonics style of teaching reading I don't think it's going to work for my visual learner.
MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Bumping for later
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM

We love sing spell read and write.  I have not tried the other.  But many people swear by it.

lucsch
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't use either.

I started to use another program in K4, so dd entered Sonlight's Learning to Read program at the Readers1/LA1 level in K. They use Explode the Code as a basis, though the actual workbook is "optional". The lessons teach what is needed and their beginner readers lead right into reading real children's books. What I loved about it is they use a combination of sight words and phonics---very effective. The child NEVER reads anything they aren't prepared to read.

In the middle of her K year, something clicked, and she just "got" it. She was reading books at the beginning of her 1st grade year like The Wizard of Oz and Dr. Dolittle...not abridged, the originals!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)