Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Since many of us were not, ourselves, homeschooled (something to lift your spirits!)

Posted by on May. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
6 moms liked this

I was talking with a good friend about how I get worried sometimes that I might be "missing" some crucial stuff my children should be learning. We live in a very 'easy' homeschooling state so there are no requirements or testing. I could be doing absolutely nothing and there's nothing the state could do about it (I don't, by the way, do nothing).

My friend, who was homeschooled right up until college and now homeschools her own brood, said, "Well if they miss anything, they'll just make it up in three hours at college. Seriously. I wanted to take a Chemistry test my first year of college but I never studied any chemistry in high school. The professor hooked me up with a tutor and in three one-hour sessions, I was as caught up as the kids who took a year or more of it in high school."

Made me feel SO much better! Not that I intend to use it as an excuse to skip out on my duties. But if I do miss anything, I just need to remember - LEARNING IS LIFE-LONG! I am still learning things every day and I'm 34 years old. So we don't need to stress that our kid didn't master this skill, or we didn't cover THAT moment of history, or we didn't spend enough time on this math concept... it will all be okay. :)

by on May. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I have always known this. Anything can be learned at any age!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

While anything "can" be learned, it's also proven fact that some things, like foreign language, are best learned before a certain age. The areas of our brains responsible for these types of learning shut down, or at the very least become less responsive, as we get older. Old dogs, new tricks, and all that. 

But other things I think we try too hard to teach to our children - like history, and its implications, especially wars and conflicts. Even though a child can regurgitate the dates and places and players, they can't fully grasp the implications of any of it because they haven't had the life experiences to give a frame of reference. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I like this perspective! It does comfort me. 8)
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Very true

Quoting hipmomto3:

While anything "can" be learned, it's also proven fact that some things, like foreign language, are best learned before a certain age. The areas of our brains responsible for these types of learning shut down, or at the very least become less responsive, as we get older. Old dogs, new tricks, and all that. 

But other things I think we try too hard to teach to our children - like history, and its implications, especially wars and conflicts. Even though a child can regurgitate the dates and places and players, they can't fully grasp the implications of any of it because they haven't had the life experiences to give a frame of reference. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I have certainly educated myself more than school ever did!

Quoting usmom3:

I have always known this. Anything can be learned at any age!

CaitsCookies
by on May. 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

My grandmother never could comprehend why I kept telling her that all my actual EDUCATION occurred at home with her, my mother, and my grandfather - even though I was in public school. They are the ones who taught me to read, write, USE math, and to think.

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been having panic sessions lately about not teaching the "right" stuff and such. So I've done a lot of evaluation and thinking about why the bits and parcels of information the school/state deems important are important. And the fact is that there's just so much information out there, everyone needs to make choices. A lot of what I "learned" I don't know any more. In fact, a lot of what my ps kids have "learned" just this year they don't know any more. Not to say it's not important, but knowledge is something you're always picking up and dropping off because of it's relation to your life. Loving to learn and learning to think and question and make connections is the most important.
oredeb
by debbie on May. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM

good post hipmom!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Nicely stated. I was a "good student" in public school, but I'm baffled as to what I learned! I don't remember much of it. In particular, my education in the areas of history, cultures, geography, and economics were all seriously flawed. Sure I learned to make a supply-and-demand graph in senior year Econ... but I had no idea what was causing the debt crisis in Europe or the auto bailout in the U.S. I feel that my education was very self-centric - my town, my state (so much state stuff!), and my country, but little else about other peoples and other places. 

Quoting hwblyf:

I've been having panic sessions lately about not teaching the "right" stuff and such. So I've done a lot of evaluation and thinking about why the bits and parcels of information the school/state deems important are important. And the fact is that there's just so much information out there, everyone needs to make choices. A lot of what I "learned" I don't know any more. In fact, a lot of what my ps kids have "learned" just this year they don't know any more. Not to say it's not important, but knowledge is something you're always picking up and dropping off because of it's relation to your life. Loving to learn and learning to think and question and make connections is the most important.

mommaTLC186
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Thank you for this post :) I worry all the time
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)