Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Good reasons to homeschool or just a mama bear?

I have just about HAD IT with my son's school...yes I am here with out being a homeschool mom hope that is okay...

On friday my son was running around wiht a plastic magnifly glass and this mom accused my DS of tryingto "burn" her daughter and murder him...he wasnt I witnessed the whole thing...

SHE WENT TO THE PRINCIPAL...with out asking my sons side the principal made my DS say sorry for trying to burn her...and this girl after school danced around my DS go "nananana" the first mom smiled "yes thats right" I was fumming...

This isnt the first time. My son was told that he cant take out chapter books because he cant read them. I requested a reading test which he passed. Other parents complained that since their kids couldnt take out chapter books he shouldnt be allowed to either.

I feel as if my son is holding himself back so are these good reasons for my son to be homeschooled or am I just being a overprotective mamabear.

1) He is being bullied and the principal is doing nothing (lots of meetings later)

2) being told he cant do something just because the other kids cant.

3) The other parents dont give him a fair shot.

4) he is more advanced (Kindergarden, grade 1 and grade 2 teachers all say this)

by on May. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
arctophile
by on May. 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I also agree that you don't need an excuse to homeschool.  That being said, I took my children out for the same reasons.  There was bullying including from the principal and teachers.  My oldest is also very advanced.  I decided enough was enough and I brought them home.  Best decision ever!

Precious333
by Julia on May. 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Hugs! I think you both will be happier homeschooling!
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Woot Woot!

Quoting lucsch:

You don't need an "excuse" to homeschool. If you feel like it is something that you can dedicate yourself to doing, it is the right choice.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Yes!

Quoting Precious333:

Hugs! I think you both will be happier homeschooling!
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Isn't that terrible? Why do they punish the kids that are trying to excellent?

Quoting arctophile:

I also agree that you don't need an excuse to homeschool.  That being said, I took my children out for the same reasons.  There was bullying including from the principal and teachers.  My oldest is also very advanced.  I decided enough was enough and I brought them home.  Best decision ever!

wowguildmomma
by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

You have every right to be a momma bear and yea I would be yanking him out too. I would be eating some school teachers for lunch probably but i am very hot tempered momma. :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I could see my son doing this!

Quoting catrig:

Sounds like good reasons to me. We are homeschooling next year because my daughter needs the 1 on 1 instruction. She had her teacher convinced she couldn't read.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Maternal instincts at their finest.

Quoting ceckyl:

Eh you know, if you have a little nagging feeling its something that would be good for your family, no excuses needed. Go for it! But I can absolutely appreciate how you're feeling.
CatFishMom
by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

The forum youre in, youre pretty much going to get all agreements I would imagine. :-) Number three is the only one I dont consider a good reason-I dont give a rat's patoot what other parents think of my kid, but the other three are good reasons. The catch is to try to focus on the positive reasons for homeschooling rather than the negative ones. I could come up with a thousand negatives-bullying, dangers, standardized tests-but I try to keep the positive reasons-my son works at his own pace, he excels with one-on-one attention, the relationship he is developing and otherwise would not with his little brother and soon-to-be little sister, the benefits to our family-at the forefront. It serves to remind me more of why I BELIEVE in homeschooling...and helps me to be just slightly less paranoid. :-)

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this
That is a good perspective to have!

Quoting CatFishMom:

The forum youre in, youre pretty much going to get all agreements I would imagine. :-) Number three is the only one I dont consider a good reason-I dont give a rat's patoot what other parents think of my kid, but the other three are good reasons. The catch is to try to focus on the positive reasons for homeschooling rather than the negative ones. I could come up with a thousand negatives-bullying, dangers, standardized tests-but I try to keep the positive reasons-my son works at his own pace, he excels with one-on-one attention, the relationship he is developing and otherwise would not with his little brother and soon-to-be little sister, the benefits to our family-at the forefront. It serves to remind me more of why I BELIEVE in homeschooling...and helps me to be just slightly less paranoid. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN