Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desk ideas?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

I was kind of thinking of getting a Little Tykes desk for my son (entering 1st grade). I like how it has spots to store work etc. I know I could use the kitchen table or my desk, but I'd like him to have something special. The weight on the Deluxe Art Masters is 75 pounds and he is just 50. I can also pass this down to little brother. Any other ideas?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
debramommyof4
by Group Admin on May. 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM

We found a heavy all wood desk for my oldest (7) on Craigslist.  Everyone else sits at little kiddie tables.  I am in the process of finding my 6 year old a desk now.  I want her to have a real one.  The younger ones will not need a real desk for a few years.

bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on May. 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM

If I had known 2 years ago, I would have just gotten my boys lapdesks and forgot about classroom desks.  Our desks almost never get used and we moved them to the basement about 4-5 months ago:

Sorry they are sideways, but I can't seem to fix it!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
4 moms liked this

What I really wanted to do (but don't have space)

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

My kids usually just do their work in the living room.  They either use the coffee table, or clipboards.  I am thinking about making some lapdesks for them just for fun. 

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

DS is getting a loft bed for his birthday and it will have a desk under it he can use.  Other than that he can use the kitchen table or the lapdesk I am going to get him.

arwalters
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Cool

Quoting No_Difference:

What I really wanted to do (but don't have space)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 31, 2013 at 6:54 AM
I bought two student desks from the school run by my church. It is in a super poor area and their attendance is WAY down so they consolidated classes.

Each child uses their area as a base to store their stuff but rarely actually sit at them to work.
KrissyKC
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM
We have four kids.. (one is still a baby though)... I've found out that it's much more convenient to not have desks for each kid. We have three wood pantries set up on one side of our living room with one dining table in there that is our main home school area. If i have to separate them or work with one individually, we go into the actual dining room to our kitchen table. We also have a huge stock of clip boards and a small computer center with one computer we share. If I need them to use computers at the same time, we have a laptop we can set up anywhere.
usmom3
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

We use clip boards or the coffee table instead of a desk!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)