Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forced reading

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 8 year old has always hated reading.  He will only read what's given to him as an assignment and never on his own.  When we take long breaks he won't pick up a book for anything.  If your child was this way, would you force him to take time each day to read?  Like require 20 minutes a day that is designated reading time?  Or would you be OK with him going a long number of days without picking up a book to read?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do my best to find things to read he was really interested in, on his reading level or even a bit below his level to make reading easy.  Graphic novels on topics he likes, or the silly stories about kids his age.

And I would get some board games that's involve reading like "Apples to Apples" and play family game night.  

I don't think it should ever be forced, but it should be supported and nurtured.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I have children like that! My oldest hated reading & only read when made to, when we pulled him from public school to homeschool at the age of 12. I stopped forcing it & started providing reading material that might interest him & left it laying around the house for him to find. He is 19 1/2 & has grown to love reading & now reads more the I do (that is saying something because love to read).

My 9y/o & 7y/o are not interested in reading books on their own yet so I don't force it! I read to them all the time & they love to be read to. I know that one day they will want to read on their own & they will no longer ask me to read to them, but if I force them to read that day will never come!

by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I wouldn't force any child to read anything. Instead I would concentrate on encouragement. Find him books on things he enjoys. I make sure my kids see me reading everyday. Does he enjoy being read to. My 9 year old is the same way. He is just started taking off this year with his reading though. He asks me to read to him and loves being read to. I would concentrate on finding ways to make books irresistible. I highly recommend reading Roald Dahl books together.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM
It could be a boy thing. My 10 year old only reads these silly books about ninjas, anime or Captain Underpants. I've learned to shut up about what he reads. I so require 49 mins a day of reading. But he can pick what and where he reads.
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM

For my daughter, it was because she was lacking confidence in her ability to read, and she struggles with it, so I do require her to read because she needs that practice. But I do go to the library, and we find books that she is really interested in. With my little guy, I forsee a problem getting him to read...I'm hoping the Reading Rainbow app I just got for the Kindle will help him stay interested.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM
My 14yr old hates to read but likes being read to. My 15yr old loves to read, has read all the Harry Potter books and is right now reading Walking Dead graphic novels. My 7yr old will only read if we take turns reading aloud.. Maybe its a boy thing?
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I guess we do "forced reading". My kids are required to read 15-20 minutes or 1 chapter a day.

When we started with my daughter, she would do it grudgingly, and not very well. Now she reads all the time. It took work to find books she's interested in, and now we're pushing for new types of books.

My son is a great reader, for being 7, but he has a hard time with reading punctuation and feels foolish reading to me.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM
My boy is 10 and would read for hours if he had a good book, but I also have to remind him daily. They are still in ps rit now so it's part of their homework. My girl is 9 and not confident in reading at all, but I finally got her into a series she loves so she reads regularly, but I think it's also because we have forced it and it's part of their routine. Since they were little, I read to them before bed, once they could read on their own they read for 15-20 min before bed. Now they read 30 min before bed.

When we HS next year, I don't think I'll have to "force" it, but it will still be part of their routine. It's expected and there were some nights it felt forced for DD but making it part of her bedtime routine has made it easier I think.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM

My kids have no choice . THey have to read to earn points . If they get so many point they get a  Poker chip  and  they can have 30 mins of compter time, 30 mins of  Tv time , or play their Ds , WII or play station. and Once the 30 mins are up every thing is turned off and it's on the next thing.  Pool , or go to the  water park .  I also print out a reading log paper . I have my kids pick one out and they have to color the space in . and they have to read for 20 mins to 30 mins .  My oldest has one and she writes  what she read.  I also  make a chart for my kids on what they are going to do during the summer.   

by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Reading doesn't have to be only from a book. It could be an online article, game instructions, a recipe, whatever. My ds hates books. I've been advised to let him pick books on things he's interested in, but that doesn't help at all, he just hates books no matter what they are about. I don't care if he never loves reading. I only care that he is capable of reading. So I don't force it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)