Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My 8 year old has always hated reading.  He will only read what's given to him as an assignment and never on his own.  When we take long breaks he won't pick up a book for anything.  If your child was this way, would you force him to take time each day to read?  Like require 20 minutes a day that is designated reading time?  Or would you be OK with him going a long number of days without picking up a book to read?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Replies (21-23):
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I would try to find a book that caught him up so he would want to read it.  What kinds of things does he like?

JasonsMom2007
by Member on May. 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My brother hated to read so my parents deal was our bedtime was at 8 and we could either go to sleep them or we could stay in our beds and read until 8:30.  My brother and I both read nightly :)

usmom3
by BJ on May. 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My Mom did something like this with me & my siblings except we could stay awake as long as we where reading, needles to say there where many a morning that we could not wake up because we spent the night reading until the wee hours of the morning.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My brother hated to read so my parents deal was our bedtime was at 8 and we could either go to sleep them or we could stay in our beds and read until 8:30.  My brother and I both read nightly :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)