Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just curious

Posted by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 31 Replies
I know folks differ with this topic...so was just curious. Are you homeschooling through high school? Or do you take it year by year?
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Joann.HS
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We go back and forth... It would only be between a small private Christian school or homeschooling.
HarrisonMD
by Member on May. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to homeschool through HS and as long as our kids are interested in learning and not what everybody else is doing...I think we'll be fine...lol!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan to graduate mine from homeschool. My almost jr-high dd sometimes tries to convince me that she would be so much happier in ps for high school. I finally figured out that she does this whenever we finish an extra-curricular activity and she's getting bored or when a girl her age stops coming to group activities. I think as long as I keep her busy and help her cultivate friendships, she'll be fine. She loves being educated at home, though.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I prepare for both homeschooling and public high school, then see what happens.  

My oldest homeschooled for only 8th grade with full intention of going to high school.  She chose a high school for journalism and graduated in 2011.

My youngest daughter homeschooled from 3rd to 8th grades.  She didn't think about high school until 6th or 7th grade when she thought it would be fun to audition for a performing arts high school.  Not only did she audition in 8th grade, but she got into the best public PA school in the country.  She is now a junior there.  

Ds(12) has homeschooled since Kindergarten and even though he's gone back and forth about attending public high school, he is now 100% sure he will continue homeschooling for high school.  I'm so happy.  He has a large group of friends who are doing the same.  He learns better at his own pace, studying what interests him, and is ahead of grade level.  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM
2 moms liked this

We plan to HS all through high school. If we felt the kids would get other things they were missing here then my opinion might be different. But I don't think I want hormonal kids being influenced like they would be....and I know the high schools in our area stink..I should know, I went (and dropped out) there! Thankfully I home educated through high school and went on to be college educated.

usmom3
by BJ on May. 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this

All the way through

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I will leave it up to each child.

DS1 started public high school in the fall and hated it. He lasted all of 4 days. He said the kids were on but the way they did school + homework was a total waste of time. He HATED being lectured. He prefers to read and explore and self-educate. ETA: This was at his request...he BEGGED to go to PS.

DS2 has assured me he never wants to step foot in a public school again. We use a charter school that has the option of classes and I do have him take one class per year there to help him get past his stress/fear of public schools. (He had a horrific time in Kinder and 1st grades in ps) This year he did art and literature and enjoyed it.

DD loves going "to school" at the learning center. She does an all day class, one day per week and thrives. By Junior high and high school I see her doing most of her classes there.
oredeb
by debbie on May. 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

i homeschooled thru high school, now teaching friends kids

DyslexiaParent
by Member on May. 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

We homeschooled through high school.. I waffled a lot as we approached high school, but no one in our family really wanted to deal with all that goes with public school so we forged ahead.  It turned out FABULOUSLY!  We had a cap and gown graduation this month and it was a great conclusion to the homeschool, high school adventure! :-D

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I really don't know yet.  We are just starting out and since my work situation will be changing when I graduate in a couple years, I am not gonna plan that far ahead yet.  I hope to be able to continue as long as DS and I are both getting something out of it, but I don't know yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)