Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Your homeschool days...

Posted by on May. 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm in a debate with myself...(laugh now HAHA)

I'm the type of person that likes everything scheduled. I have lists and schedules...EVERYWHERE!

I'm debating on scheduling our homeschooling days. Example: math from 10-1045am English 11-1145am etc. Or would it be easier to just say we do this, this and this on this day. No scheduling times, as long as certain "subjects" get done on this day.

If I don't time everything out, I'm afraid that it will drag on. But then again I'm scared that scheduling everything will put them in a "crunch".

Any advice for a newbie? We start the 3rd, next Monday.

How do you do your days?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I am completely unscheduled and unstructured. My dd likes to get up, get started right away, and get it done on her own, on her own time. Ds needs more direction, so his work gets done around my own chores. So his math gets done between loads of laundry and trips to the library, or his reading gets done while I'm making lunch. Science and history we do somewhat together, so that happens when it happens. I realize this wont work for everyone, and it took me several years to realize this works for us. 6 yrs ago, I thought I had to account for and schedule every minute of our school day to be succesful. We all burned out pretty quickly that way.

CaitsCookies
by on May. 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM
We're pretty easy as far as a schedule is concerned. Mondays, we try to relax and to get things done we didn't accomplish over the weekend. Tuesdays are library days and volunteering at the community kitchen. Wednesdays are homeschool swim days. Thursdays are cleaning, reading, researching, and being creative. Fridays, the kids get creative with a hs'd girl who comes over to keep them busy while I bake for my Saturday deliveries. Saturdays, we do my deliveries; and Sundays are church and family.
BramblePatch
by on May. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Totally unscheduled here. Generally, we do lessons between breakfast and lunch. Today DS did spelling and copy work, read a reader to me, and did 1 page of math. DD then did phonics and math. Together we talked and and did an experiment on bouyancy....that ended with both kids in the creek, waist high :-) It took a total of maybe an hour and ten minutes. Tomorrow will be totally different :-)
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I can't schedule times, because if I did say, 30 minutes for math, maybe one day they finish their math in 20 minutes... and then what do we do for the next 10 minutes? or another day they take 45 minutes - and that eats into the next subject's "time."

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM

We do have a loose schedule, and we are doing the workbox system (tweaked a bit to suit us) and so that's our "schedule." We always have the same morning routine - they get up, get dressed, come down and put away the clean dishes, then they have exercise time with dad, then we eat breakfast and read scriptures, then they get 1/2 hour to play (NO screens - play together or read or whatever - my oldest has to practice piano 4x a week during this time) while I set up for school. Then we have school until we are done - it takes anywhere from 90 minutes to 3 hours most days. They have workboxes, and sometimes when they are all done with those we have a video to watch or a science experiment to do or we go to the library. Each day is a little different but overall they are similar. 

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM
I will schedule out homeschool days so that I have something that keeps me on track, but I'm not afraid to let it slide when we need to.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I'm like you, I love my schedules and checklists....sadly my boys are NOT as anal as me, They get overwhelmed and irritated if they are feeling rushed. SO I had to change from my pretty (on paper) schedule, to a more generic - Learning from 10-2. This way they know when learning is expected, but don't feel pressured. I've found that if I give the kids a choice, they will not argue or drag their feet with learning! So, I make my schedule that no one sees but me..lol..

oredeb
by on May. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

hi cowgirl,

i have always had a sort of schedule in mind since i first started hsing('82') and it hasnt hurt us any or stopped the learning flow.

we start at 9 every morning and do about 15 min. of bible stuff, then about 45 min of math and english each, i dont let them go over an hour on any subject, then we move on to our next subjects and get done by 12 or 1 so it does work, and its something ive done since the beginning! and it works for us.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 30, 2013 at 6:44 PM

We will start this fall and I plan to not have a timed schedule.  But we will have certain things certain days, math, spelling, reading, etc will be every day.  History most days, science three days a week probably.  And they will have sports or classes on certain days.  We've talked about just having lessons for a whole week and when they are done, they are done for the week, or having certain things for a day and when they get done, they are done for the day. 

I plan to play it by ear.  I am a huge scheduler too, but I think it will be important for my kids to have a lot of leeway and say in when they learn, it will encourage them more.  And we want to get away from "school" for a lot of reasons, the schedules and time constraints being a big one.

lucsch
by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I have a list of pages to cover each school day. We do not necessarily do things in the same order each day. In fact, I let my dd pick and choose. She does her independent work, then we get together and go over it, I teach her math lesson, and I read a story-time book to her. We do not spend a certain time on each subject.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)