Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Why is it so hard to find a support group? Is it important to be a part of a group?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Everyone is different.  I was a part of a homeschool support group for my first 2 yrs of home educating but for the past 18 yrs I haven't been.   :-)

oahoah
by Member on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I found my homeschool mom's groups through Yahoo and was lucky to have found them.  I think it depends on the person as far as importance of being in a group. I found a couple great ones before I started and this is going into our 3rd year and we still meet pretty regularly (2-3 different groups, once a month) and it has just been nice for me to hear from "mentor" or veteran moms who have been through this before as well as "new" moms like me who are in the same stages of life. Sometimes homeschooling can get isolating and I tend to be more of an introvert so I really have to push myself to get to the group nights and am always glad I do. I have made some new friends and it is just a comfortable place to discuss mom issues or homeschool issues.

BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM
A support group.

Quoting hipmomto3:

A homeschooling support group? Or a co-op?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I LOVE this group. I've gotten so much help from this group in the short pd. of time i've been a part of it. I mean a local group. I don't know what i'm doing. The support groups where I live are too far. I don't have a car. :-(

Quoting kmath:

I consider this a support group, and to me it is essential.  Are you talking about a local one?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I'm sorry hon.  There aren't any close to me either.  So all my support is online.  Maybe you will find some other HSing families near you even if there isn't an organized group.

Quoting BautifuHart9699:

I LOVE this group. I've gotten so much help from this group in the short pd. of time i've been a part of it. I mean a local group. I don't know what i'm doing. The support groups where I live are too far. I don't have a car. :-(

Quoting kmath:

I consider this a support group, and to me it is essential.  Are you talking about a local one?

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I have great online and local support.  I do not know what I would do without my local support.  I wouldn't say you need it but when I meet with our friends I feel so much better.  I also run my own co-op and I absolutely love giving help to new homeschoolers.  It can be tough finding your way when you first start especially when your kids are older.  I strongly suppest homeschoolers check yahoo for local groups or start your own.  You can decide how much you are involved.  Local advice can be really helpful.  I am also very social and so are my kids.  We have about 3 weekly co-ops and love them all.  

BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM
This will be my first time homeschooling. I'm still in the learning process myself. I want to start my own group once i've have more experience. :-)

Quoting polka.dot.:

i agree, it is very important to have a support system , i am new to this group but i love to talk to other moms in here ,it is a great start to a support system, or you could start your own . If you go to church, just ask around, talk to childrens services, parenting groups in your local area to find out if they have groups or if you could start one

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I been told to find a support group because I have questions and they've told me the best way to get the correct answers is joining a support group. I feel lost. :-(

Quoting mem82:

I think it depends on your situation. Online support is really all I need, but that's the way I am. Some people thrive with the face to face.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM
What state are you in? You aren't lost. You are at the very beginning. 8) you haven't even taken a step so nothing you have done or not done is wrong.

Quoting BautifuHart9699:

I been told to find a support group because I have questions and they've told me the best way to get the correct answers is joining a support group. I feel lost. :-(

Quoting mem82:

I think it depends on your situation. Online support is really all I need, but that's the way I am. Some people thrive with the face to face.

BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Yes I am. :-(

Quoting oredeb:

you asked is it important to be part of a group, depends on what you want to join a group for,

why are you having a problem finding one bautfu?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN