Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So it looks like I'll be minus a kiddo at home next year.

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 10 Replies

Part of me is sad, the other part is thrilled for my daughter and this opportunity.

The board is reviewing the recommendation, but it looks like she will be attending a local private school for bright dyslexic children for the next two years (it only goes to grade 8 and she's entering grade 7 this fall). She has been shadowing there and loves it.

She'll be coming home again for high school, because there aren't any dyslexia specific schools for high schoolers locally (unless she can score an awesome scholarship to one of the dylexia boarding school elsewhere - but it would have to be a freakin' amazing scholarship since they run upwards of at least 40K a year for boarders, lol!) and public school is off the table for the forseeable future.

*sigh*

Alas, I still have two more (boys) at home with me, and barring any awesome opportunities like this, or an eventual well thought out request to attend a local Catholic school, they will be homeschooled long term. My middle child will be doing junior k/kindergarten at home with me this fall; the other is still a babe.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

awwww well at least you still have the boys to teach!

congratulations on you daughter getting in at the school!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh it isn't a sure thing yet. We've been given a tentative thumbs up though. She's thrilled. I'm happy to know I"ll have her home for high school :)

Quoting oredeb:

awwww well at least you still have the boys to teach!

congratulations on you daughter getting in at the school!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

That's great! I'll keep my fingers crossed for her!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Aw, that sounds like a great opportunity, though!

And, honestly, it will be easy to have the two younger close in age than to juggle 3 with a large gap. 8)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It is an amazing opportunity. There are only 12 kids in the entire school right now - only like 4 in her grade/class.

Quoting mem82:

And, honestly, it will be easy to have the two younger close in age than to juggle 3 with a large gap. 8)

mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

WTG Mom for recognizing opportunity and jumping on it! 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It is an amazing opportunity. There are only 12 kids in the entire school right now - only like 4 in her grade/class.

Quoting mem82:

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I so wish I'd known that my son had dysgraphia and dyscalculia and he had resources to help him work around those issues. I feel like I failed him in a way.

I think it's great your girl likes this school and will have that opportunity! Good for all of you!

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

That sounds like a great opportunity for her!  Good luck!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM
That is awesome news for your daughter and you. Bittersweet though it may be.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM
That is awesome news for your daughter and you. Bittersweet though it may be.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)