Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice...scheduling subjects/keeping kids busy

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 3 little ones, age 8, 7, and 6 are the ones I want to homeschool. They're in public school right now.

How do you schedule working one-on-one with one child while keeping the others busy?

I'm at loss as to how to do this. When I'm helping them with homework, it takes hours because when I'm working with one, the other 2 distract each other and get nothing done. And that is when they have already been taught the day's lesson from their teacher. So, I start panicking when I think about teaching every subject, with all three of them.

by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

When you are homeschooling, you are the one giving the assignments, so it is totally different than working with homework problems givn by a teacher.

Your kids are close enough in age that they can do a lot of lessons together.  You could teach history, science, and literature together.

As for one-on-one time, give very interesting things for them to do while you work with one.  Have them draw pictures or make crafts to go with one lesson while you work with another child.  Give them choices about what they can do while you work with another child.  When they choose, they will be more engaged.  Much of the problems with distrations during homework is that they had no choice about what they were covering, what they were reading, and what they needed to do with what they read. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM
My kids are all close in age like that. I teach them the same things. For example if we are working on addition with the youngest, we all do addition. We do a few single digit problems for the youngest then that one goes off to individual work, then double digit addition for the next one. Then they go off and do their work. Then we finish up with the oldest doing triple digits and then it is off to do their individual work.

By this time my youngest is ready for a reading lesson. When that's done off to do worksheets or handwriting. The next two are usually ready for grammer and so we discuss that then they do their work and handwriting.

We take a break and all come back to learn science and history together.

It is so much easier if you do as many subjects together as possible.

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

hi diane! my kids are all close like yours 

teach them all the same thing with the same books, they are pretty close in age so it'd work!, you could teach science and history and bible together

depending on what level they are in math and lang arts you might be able to teach a couple of them together.

what i do if a few of the kids(7) need help with something , is have one of the older ones help one and i help the other if possible otherwise i have the kids that i cant help do some handwriting in there copybooks or reading while they are waiting for me

also if you need to just teach one of the kids lets say a phonics lesson,  have the other kids do their math or handwriting or reading their book while you teach the other child, always make sure they know what to do next, i keep a lesson plan so the kids can just look up what they do next in it if im still teaching the other child.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

You can find some materials that work for different levels making it easier if you plan to formally teach them.

You can have some of the older kids work with a younger kid on a particular subject. That will allow the older kid to help and reinforce their understanding as well as forge an even deeper bond between the kids.

You could have the kids work independently or on the computer while you work with another.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)