Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cost of homeschooling

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM
  • 55 Replies

If you're not going through the online public school,,,I plan on following a Catholic curriculum. How much do you pay for materials and curriculum Interested in a ballpak figure)? I imagine there are tax write offs. I;m in California. Is there a thread on the financial aspects? Please point me to it, ootherwise or in addition, I'd love to here your experience. Thanks!

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

You can spend very little or a lot.  I budget about $20 per week for books and supplies.  I don't buy a boxed curriculum.  I buy a lot of living books and very few textbooks.  I have two boys.  I also run a co-op so my cost covers expenses for that as well.  Honestly I have no clue but I would say maybe 1,000 per year.  I am pretty much buying books all year long.  I am so addicted to books it is not funny.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

You can spend absolutely nothing or break the bank.

I have paid maybe $200 to homeschool 5 children for the past 6 years. I know people who have never bought a single thing and I know people who drop thousands each year.

We use our local public library, inter-library loans, free activities locally, shop sales, and buy used. I go most years without buying a single thing.

I do not count our Nooks or our Netflix in the equation because those were not purchased with the intent to use for homeschooling but yeah we do. Again I rarely buy books on the Nook since our library does e-reader loans and we borrow from friends.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Most of the full catholic programs (we're catholic too) cost between $400-$800 a year. Catholic Heritage Curriculum and Seton being the more moderately priced; Kolbe being a bit pricier as you get to the upper grades.

Our state allows no tax write offs for homeschool materials.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
We plan to spend very little, most of our expense will be field trips I think.

Most states don't offer tax write offs, since public education is offered for free to everyone there isn't really a discount for homeschool or private school. My state does offer some reimbursement if you qualify for a "scholarship" it's up to I think $600 a year, you could google California homeschool scholarship and see if you can't find anything.
BramblePatch
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM
I spent way too much last year, to be honest. About $600 per child (pre-k and K). This year, we will be utilizing the library ALOT more and using living books (because we found it works better than workbooks for us) and I anticipate about $200 per child.
Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Hello, Im in CA too! We do a charter public school. However before that all i needed was basic supplies and we got a lot of hand me.down supplies from other homeschoolers. The library was a nice resource. We also do classical.conversations, and i tutored the class, so i didnt have to pay tuition for the classes (it is a homeschooling program).
bmw29
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I was planning out my curriculum for next year the other day and just for books it's going to be about $300. After adding in the classes he wants to take it will be about $800.

PS: There are no tax breaks for homeschooling.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Gosh, maybe 200 bucks. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest investing in a very good printer. There are so many resources on the Internet. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Let me find some of our threads talking about money. I will bump them up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)