Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Homeschooling

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello. I'm new to all of this so I'm going to explain what I know and maybe someone can give me advice or words of encouragement lol. My husband and I have decided to pull our son who will be in the 7th grade out of school next year. He got diagnosed with ADHD and disruptive behavior disorder. He is a really bright boy. He tested in the 93rd percentie for math this year on his terra nova tests. The teachers told us they were ready to kick him out of school because he was such a distraction to the other kids and wouldn't listen. We have enrolled him in K-12 because I have no clue what I'm doing to be honest with you. I don't really remember anything specifically about the 7th grade myself. We want him to get a good education and want him to go to college. Our hope was to get his behavior under control so we can send him back because he plays football. He's really good and loves it. We have next year covered with him playing through the city but it's not offered beyond the 7th grade. After that he has to play junior high or not at all. I have told my husband that his education is more important than sports so if we need to keep him home then that's what we have to do. He is already socially awkward so that is another concern for us. He was also getting bullied ALOT in school and they didn't seem all that concerned about it. That really pissed me off. Every teacher I talked to had no clue it was going on. They all said they would let everyone know but it never happened. I do want structure to his day. I want him to get the best education he can. Has anyone been through a similar situation or have a kid similar to mine? I guess any input would be helpful right now.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
romacox
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM

It sounds like your Son is a "Hands On Learner", also referred to as the "Artisan Personality."

n this video, you will learn about the Sp (Artisan) personality. Even though they are 38% of the of the average classroom, they are the most misunderstood. As a result, studies show, they are often misdiagnosed as having ADHD.

Some of the ways they learn best are as follows:

· They like to entertain and to be entertained

· Prefer visual over verbal learning

· The more game like it is, the better

· Team play and competition works well with these children

· It is more important to praise their performance, than to praise their product

· They like short activities in which they can move around

· For children that are learning to read, having trouble learning to read, and are "hands on learners", we have found nothing better than
Ring Around the Phonics (this is not for your child's age, PRb tracy, But whole brain teaching is the way to teach these children). They love it.

· The Artisan often sees other personality types as "stupid". However if they are helped to learn about, and appreciate the unique gifts of others, they can become Great leaders.

· This is funny but true: The Artisan child likes to accomplish something while learning, and the NT child likes to be taught how to do things just to satisfy his desire to know. So both personalities will learn while building something like a room addition. However, a word of caution; the NT will often stray from the standard way of doing the job just to find out what if. It can be quite an adventure.

(It is important not to put inflexible labels on ourselves and others, because, even though we tend to be more of one personality than another, we are never one hundred percent in any one category, and different situations can bring out different traits.)

usmom3
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Welcome to the group! In some states homeschoolers can play on public school sports teams if the school approves it & some states have homeschool sports teams that play against the public & privet schools in their arias. You will probably find that he becomes less socially awkward as time goes by because the environment is so different from public school.

QueenCreole313
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Good morning! Welcome. Hopefully I can write back later. I am in similar situation. My son is 10. This is our first year homeschooling. It has been amazing. You are doing the right thing. You're son sounds gifted. I encourage you to read books on gifted children. They are often misdiagnosed as ADHD. Talk you to more soon. God bless.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)