Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Differences between state law and the school department.

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hi, I have a problem, the state law in my  state, says something different than the school district in my city, Central Falls, Rhode Island than the Rhode Island law. In RI law for homeschooling, I don't have to have anyone in my own to test my daughter. Twice between September and April Destinay has been tested. State law says I have to homeschool for the equivalent of 180 days, the superintendent says I have to homeschool for 180 days and it has to be 5+ hours per day. The required subjects according to the law are Reading, Writing, Math, Civics, Health and Gym according to the law of the state. My school district says I have to do all of that, plus Government of Rhode Island, History of Rhode Island, and the Constitution. The law says I don't need to submit any information about the curriculum that I will be using. The school district says that I have to submit my curriculum to be approved that I can thoroughly homeschool her. When I decided to homeschool her I had a meeting with the superintendent and the old principal of her school who is now in the Special Ed department in the school she was at. I never received anything in writing that I was allowed to homeschool her. They said at that meeting that they wanted to come over my house and see how things are set up for Destinay. That is not lawful in the state laws for homeschooling in Rhode Island. So there are many differences between Central Falls policy and the state law. I am involved in a local homeschool group and that was where I was made aware of these things. I don't want to stir up any drama in me homeschooling Destinay. On the flip side I also don't want her tested because it gives her anxiety. Even the things on the test I don't agree with. I mean in life what does it matter how fast you can read something? I feel that understanding what you read is more important than the speed you read. And as long as the Math is accurate why is it so important that you have it memorized by heart? I am nervous that if I don't conform to do  what they say, I won't be able to homeschool her next year. I have a person that I can talk to in my group and she says she has no problem with going against the school department to uphold the law in my state. So after all this post, I have a question should I just do what Central Falls says or should I go against them and do what the law in the state says I'm allowed to do?

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to become an expert on the state law and have it printed out from a reputable site, like the State Department of Education.

Do not let them in your home.

Request all correspondence be done in writing. Don't take phone calls, don't take visits.

This would be a situation I would suggest getting a hold of one of the homeschooling legal help that can be had like HSLDA or other.

I am usually all for getting along with the school district but they aren't just crossing every t and dotting every i. They are not following the law.

oredeb
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

i agree with mem

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I would follow the law and get representation.  I'm think I may need to do the same this year.  My evaluator is asking for more than the state.

I agree with mem!  Don't let them in, follow the law to the letter, and get everything in writing.  Have a copy of the laws printed and in your hand at every meeting with the school and ask them to show you where it says that you need these things.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

School boards are notorious for overstepping their bounds. They often need to be educated on their own state's laws.  Contact HSLDA .

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Contact hslda ...now!  Get representation and know your laws.  They are taking advantage of you...don't let them.  I would certainly not let them into your home!

acrogodess
by Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Contact the HSLDA. The school district is required to follow the state laws.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I would fallow the laws & join a group like HSLDA or find a state level group like them to join.

Momof697
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Follow the law.  Do research and find the laws in your state and follow them, if you do what the law requires the school can do nothing to you, legally.

Homeschoolmom10
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Here is the HSLDA site for Rhode Island. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=ri

Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

family in the vanbreastfeedingteen girlhave a nice day

greenmama9801
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Wow... I also am from RI - Cranston. I go according to state law as does Cranston. In fact, they didn't even ask to see a curriculum or anything from me. I cannot see any city/ town beinng able to override state law.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)