Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when to start?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 18 Replies
Ds will be 2 in October, which is also when this baby is due lol, and I don't know when to start! I imagine 2 is too young but I just don't know!
We read daily, go through the alphabet and colors. We also go through body parts, stuff like that.
Advice?
Also, this baby is also a boy, anyone homeschool two boys two years apart? How is it? Do they do one school year apart or two?
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I have 3 boys the first 2 are 22 months apart and the second and third are 20 months apart.  Some things they do together, some things they do 1 year apart and some they do 2 years apart.

We all did the body and how it works together.  They each laid on butcher paper and we outlined their bodies and put in all the major organs.  Lots of the sciences they can do together with the oldest making more connections than the others.

They are best friends (and mortal enemies some days LOL).

We don't start formal education until they are 5.  We sing and play from the day they are born.  We read a lot.  At 2 we played with numbers, colors, positions, sizes, letters, sounds, rhyming.  Things like that.  But it is important to just keep it fun and learn through play at that age.  My boys are now 4, 6, and 8.  We started the youngest in formal lessons about 2 months ago because he asked to "do school" with his brothers.  Before that he was only interested in the science experiments and the story times.

NewInChrist
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I figured two was too young lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I have 3 boys the first 2 are 22 months apart and the second and third are 20 months apart.  Some things they do together, some things they do 1 year apart and some they do 2 years apart.

We all did the body and how it works together.  They each laid on butcher paper and we outlined their bodies and put in all the major organs.  Lots of the sciences they can do together with the oldest making more connections than the others.

They are best friends (and mortal enemies some days LOL).

We don't start formal education until they are 5.  We sing and play from the day they are born.  We read a lot.  At 2 we played with numbers, colors, positions, sizes, letters, sounds, rhyming.  Things like that.  But it is important to just keep it fun and learn through play at that age.  My boys are now 4, 6, and 8.  We started the youngest in formal lessons about 2 months ago because he asked to "do school" with his brothers.  Before that he was only interested in the science experiments and the story times.

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM

yes 2 is awlful young to start with academics!! (just my opinion!!)

but what your doing is great!! keep it up if your child likes it!

with only 2 years apart, i teach them mostly together, math and lang.arts they have different books, but the rest of the subjects i teach them together

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We start formal academics at 4 (although he did things informally before then).

I would say you'd be able to keep your boys together in content subjects (history, science, art, music) until the eldest hits high school age; at that point I would be uncomfortable working to the younger's level because a high schooler should/could be prepping for college and reading harder texts/sources, giving more output, and learning a different sequence in general than a middle schooler. Definitely keep them separate for language arts and math immediately though.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NewInChrist
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting oredeb:

yes 2 is awlful young to start with academics!! (just my opinion!!)

but what your doing is great!! keep it up if your child likes it!

with only 2 years apart, i teach them mostly together, math and lang.arts they have different books, but the rest of the subjects i teach them together

NewInChrist
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM
That's more than likely what I'll do, Benji (ds1) will be a big helper I think with teaching Kayleb what he already knows :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We start formal academics at 4 (although he did things informally before then).

I would say you'd be able to keep your boys together in content subjects (history, science, art, music) until the eldest hits high school age; at that point I would be uncomfortable working to the younger's level because a high schooler should/could be prepping for college and reading harder texts/sources, giving more output, and learning a different sequence in general than a middle schooler. Definitely keep them separate for language arts and math immediately though.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Informally...4 year old will be a good age in my opinion.
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

My daughter is 2 1/2, we are starting a simple curriculum that takes 5-10 minutes a day today. I definitely think she is still young, but DH and I agree that she is ready for a simple thing like this for now, not every child will be at 2 or 3. Up until now we have been doing things like you are, and teach her new info when she becomes curious about it.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Just keep doing what you are doing for a few more years before worrying about anything more structured!

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Start what? Education? Well haven't you been doing that since birth? We teach them to walk and talk and feed themselves. You are teaching him his alphabet and colors and the importance of reading. Honey ..... you already started. This is where it begins. Go to the library, pick up some fun workbooks, print out work pages, do puzzles, learn sign language, whatever. It is already started and you are doing a great job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)