Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Ds will be 2 in October, which is also when this baby is due lol, and I don't know when to start! I imagine 2 is too young but I just don't know!
We read daily, go through the alphabet and colors. We also go through body parts, stuff like that.
Advice?
Also, this baby is also a boy, anyone homeschool two boys two years apart? How is it? Do they do one school year apart or two?
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Replies (11-18):
Momof697
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM

First I would say you are doing more than most with an almost 2 yr old.  I would not add anymore except games. My SIL had thought of some games when my 20 yr old was 3 that I used to help teach shapes, sizes, and now with the explosion of tape colors it would teach them colors also.  

I would look at what your state law says when you have to start.  In my state it used to 6 yrs in 1st grade now it is 5 in KDGTN.  But with what you are already doing They will have done KDGTN already.   I can give you other fun ideas if you want. 

NewInChrist
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I looked and it's 6 here, too, that just seems so late to me lol. Most kids here are in pre-k at 4 I think.
I would love ideas! Ds is a sponge and lives reading and learning new things :)

Quoting Momof697:

First I would say you are doing more than most with an almost 2 yr old.  I would not add anymore except games. My SIL had thought of some games when my 20 yr old was 3 that I used to help teach shapes, sizes, and now with the explosion of tape colors it would teach them colors also.  

I would look at what your state law says when you have to start.  In my state it used to 6 yrs in 1st grade now it is 5 in KDGTN.  But with what you are already doing They will have done KDGTN already.   I can give you other fun ideas if you want. 

Momof697
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM

The idea about tape you take masking tape (or colored painters tape) and make shapes on the floor. then play a musical chair (kind of ) game where he has to stand on the shape you want. (you can make it harder by putting shapes of different sizes and using different colors of tape. then say find the bigest blue square. or find the small circle. 

Also I buy flour in bulk and I have some in a leftover container. I had the kids write their name or numbers in that. they thought it was fun and they (they could play with their cars in it.  when they are done put the lid on it and put it away.  You could use rice, bird seed, sand, corn starch, corn meal  what ever just do it the same way put it in a dish with a lid and let them have fun. You could do letters and numbers too.

I also made a poster of shapes and solors. On a poster board glue shapes of different sizes and shapes and colors on the poster board. Have it laminated ( i had it done but now laminating machines have gotten cheaper so you might have one)  then make shapes the same size or color out of construction paper.  For instance I had a pick rectzangle, blue square, green heart on the poster. I had two seets of shapes. I had one exactly the same and one where you could say match up the colors or shapes.   I put velcro on the shapes both the poster and both sets of the other and then the kids could learn that way. 

6 is not late as they will learn it quicker when their body functions as it is supposed. But if your child is ready go for it but keep it fun. That is the one peice of advice I was given and every time I steer away from that I hate doing school and so does the child. A lot of learning can and should be fun.  I think very little needs to be in a book.

For instance I taught my kids fractions by having them help cook. I taught them adding and subtracting by setting the table, counting how many of us were in the car and how many it holds subtracting who is missing. There is so many ways to do fun learning.    Even card games teach counting, and adding and subtracting. 

My kids have never been to ps and only 1 did I formally teach for pre k and that was because she asked and begged. She was 4. the rest learned because the older one was doing it (almost osmosis)  just keep everything fun and play lots of games. IF you have anymore questions just ask.

Quoting NewInChrist:

I looked and it's 6 here, too, that just seems so late to me lol. Most kids here are in pre-k at 4 I think.

Quoting Momof697:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Any time you are playing with your child, talking with your child or just plain cuddling with your child...you are teaching them all about life and how to feel, think and act. Now when you sit with them and teach them numbers, letters and such,.do you consider doing that too much it starting too young if you just happen to have a moment that is such a great learning moment? Edit...it = or
CatFishMom
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Homeschooling you can work at their pace so it doesnt matter how many school 'years' apart they are. Register your first when legally obligated, (or whenever it is you plan to) and then do the same with your second.

I started 'schooling' when my firstborn was about two, just silly stuff like stories and activities. We started pre-k/kindergarten this past September when he turned four and we'll be starting kindergarten/first this September. My boys are three years apart, so Im just working on the basics with him, but youll be amazed at what the younger will pick up from the older. My little guy is almost two, a few more weeks, and he counts by tens because he hears his older brother doing it. It's funny. :-)

NewInChrist
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Love those ideas, thanks!! :)

Quoting Momof697:

The idea about tape you take masking tape (or colored painters tape) and make shapes on the floor. then play a musical chair (kind of ) game where he has to stand on the shape you want. (you can make it harder by putting shapes of different sizes and using different colors of tape. then say find the bigest blue square. or find the small circle. 

Also I buy flour in bulk and I have some in a leftover container. I had the kids write their name or numbers in that. they thought it was fun and they (they could play with their cars in it.  when they are done put the lid on it and put it away.  You could use rice, bird seed, sand, corn starch, corn meal  what ever just do it the same way put it in a dish with a lid and let them have fun. You could do letters and numbers too.

I also made a poster of shapes and solors. On a poster board glue shapes of different sizes and shapes and colors on the poster board. Have it laminated ( i had it done but now laminating machines have gotten cheaper so you might have one)  then make shapes the same size or color out of construction paper.  For instance I had a pick rectzangle, blue square, green heart on the poster. I had two seets of shapes. I had one exactly the same and one where you could say match up the colors or shapes.   I put velcro on the shapes both the poster and both sets of the other and then the kids could learn that way. 

6 is not late as they will learn it quicker when their body functions as it is supposed. But if your child is ready go for it but keep it fun. That is the one peice of advice I was given and every time I steer away from that I hate doing school and so does the child. A lot of learning can and should be fun.  I think very little needs to be in a book.

For instance I taught my kids fractions by having them help cook. I taught them adding and subtracting by setting the table, counting how many of us were in the car and how many it holds subtracting who is missing. There is so many ways to do fun learning.    Even card games teach counting, and adding and subtracting. 

My kids have never been to ps and only 1 did I formally teach for pre k and that was because she asked and begged. She was 4. the rest learned because the older one was doing it (almost osmosis)  just keep everything fun and play lots of games. IF you have anymore questions just ask.

Quoting NewInChrist:

Quoting Momof697:

Momof697
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM

your welcome. If you need more just ask. My youngest is 7 and I have 5 that I homeschooled.

Quoting NewInChrist:

Love those ideas, thanks!! :)

Quoting Momof697:

Quoting NewInChrist:

Quoting Momof697:

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Ds is 4 and we've just started. Even now i'm not rushing it, it kind of like practice at this stage
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)