Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And now I wait

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 20 Replies

I ordered everything we needed for homeschooling this past Friday. Now I wait (impatiently, by-the-way). I can't wait to go through all of it. I can't wait to start. I think we are going to start when we get all the materials. Saylor loves to learn all year round, and was sad when school ended last week. We could then take a week off each month. Any other families homeschool year round? How do you do it? 

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Well don't leave us hanging.

What did your ORDER?!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

AutymsMommy needs her fix...lol

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What did your ORDER?!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We are taking June off and starting again in July. We basically go year round.

mylovey
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This was a difficult decision for me, ha. 

For art we purchased the Home art Studio DVD for Kindergarten. We also bought the art kit. 

For math we ordered McRuffy Press with the manipulative package (Kindergarten),

For geography I purchased Beginning Geography by Evan-Moor. I also bought some geopuzzles.

For history we ordered Elemental History.

For science we ordered McRuffy Press with the science kit (Kindergarten).

For phonics/writing we ordered McRuffy Press. We ordered the entire package, and handwriting books (Kindergarten).

For health we purchased the book Growing, Growing Strong.

Last, for Spanish we ordered Song School Spanish. 

I was planning on purchasing a complete boxed curriculum, but I was not finding one in particular that I was crazy about. I am a little nervous about my choices, but if it does not work, we can always supplement. I think this will be a year of learning for the both of us.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What did your ORDER?!

mylovey
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Does it work well for your family? My daughter really wants to homeschool year round. My husband also thinks it is a good idea. I think it would be fun. :)

Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I enjoy doing it year round. I do suggest taking a longer break at some point each year so her mind has a chance to...expand. We become creatures of habit. Having a month to get bored is good for kids. It's not like they will stop learning. LOL They will just discover new interests, new places in their imaginations and when they do get back to work, their brain will be shocked. It is easy to go on autopilot and do your school work. Having a break and coming back to it, is like resharpening the brain's edge. 8)

Quoting mylovey:

Does it work well for your family? My daughter really wants to homeschool year round. My husband also thinks it is a good idea. I think it would be fun. :)

Quoting mem82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

We take a month in the summer (June 14- July 15)  and the month of December off.  Christmas is a big deal here and we make most of our Christmas gifts.  I like it.  But we can recharge with a field trip.

mylovey
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That is a good idea. Thanks! :)

Quoting mem82:

I enjoy doing it year round. I do suggest taking a longer break at some point each year so her mind has a chance to...expand. We become creatures of habit. Having a month to get bored is good for kids. It's not like they will stop learning. LOL They will just discover new interests, new places in their imaginations and when they do get back to work, their brain will be shocked. It is easy to go on autopilot and do your school work. Having a break and coming back to it, is like resharpening the brain's edge. 8)

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting mem82:

mylovey
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a good idea as well. Christmas is big for us as well. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We take a month in the summer (June 14- July 15)  and the month of December off.  Christmas is a big deal here and we make most of our Christmas gifts.  I like it.  But we can recharge with a field trip.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM
3 moms liked this

WAITING MUSIC...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)