Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I ordered everything we needed for homeschooling this past Friday. Now I wait (impatiently, by-the-way). I can't wait to go through all of it. I can't wait to start. I think we are going to start when we get all the materials. Saylor loves to learn all year round, and was sad when school ended last week. We could then take a week off each month. Any other families homeschool year round? How do you do it? 

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I was surprised at how quickly my materials arrived. I placed them about a week ago and all of them are here already, with the exception of Singapore Math and Rightstart Math (I placed those orders a bit later than the others). Once they get here, the core / spine of my curriculum is here. I still have to buy some books on Amazon, but I am STILL debating on whether I want the Amazon Prime membership or not. We start school in July, so I had better get on that soon. We also will be homeschooling year round.  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I get jealous hearing about people ordering their stuff!  We really can't afford to order stuff, but I am waiting for a package from Book Samaritan and I hope that's as exciting as I think it will be, lol.  Our neighbor let us borrow the history books I wanted and I didn't stop smiling for days and still smile when I think about it!  I am soooo excited to get started.  We will deschool a bit this summer (I work in a school and my kids have been in ps for 5 and 6 years). 

I like the idea of taking a month of in the summer and taking December off, I'm not sure how we are doing it.  My kids say they want summers off, and our state doesn't have any number of day requirements or anything so we can really do whatever we want, we just have to figure out what that is.

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We are going to try something different when we start our next "school year" in January.  We are going to 6 weeks on 1 week off.  That way the kids get some time to decompress.  I am hoping that our year will be complete by Thanksigiving so that I can focus on the holidays.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm waiting on maps to be delivered. 8)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm waiting on our Spanish and a book of plays.  So exciting!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

We usually take a month in April off.  We still do our weekly co-ops but take more time off to enjoy spring at home.  We usually do our CAT test in June and then start back in July.  This year is completely different.  We are taking a 6 week vacation.  I am taking a train out west to MT.  I will be working on things this summer while I am out west.  We are doing Botany this summer so I think it will be perfect combination.  We usually take a month in the fall as well.

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We are taking a break from schooling now..Will start at the end of the month..Then when Sarah and I go to my sister's house we will take another break then. We'll school through til Thanksgiving then take from Thanksgiving through Christmas off..But even on our off times I'm having them do a bit of schooling on Tuesdays and Thursdays..Not too much tho. I'm just going to read my kids and when I feel they are getting school fatigued I'm going to call a week off...Hopefully it'll get better, trying to be too rigid with a schedule didn't work for us and waay to many tears (from kids and myself) It's not supposed to be like that in my opinion... 

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

mylovey your books and stuff sound great!!  hope you get them; soon!!! we dont hs year round, we take off every summer.

AJ-47
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't consider what We do, year round Homeschooling. But my Son does do schoolwork three times a week during the summer to keep His brain fresh.

I'd ordered and received next school year's curriculum before this year was even over, lol..all the big stuff is ready for August!
mylovey
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

On Tuesday I received all of the art stuff in the mail. Then on Wednesday I received all of the McRuffy stuff. I LOVE all of it. Saylor really likes it too. She can't wait to start. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)