Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

do you?...

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 19 Replies
Growing up one of the most exciting things for me was "back to school" shopping, I got all new clothes, which I would have needed anyways due to outgrowing the old but these clothes were special. My mom bade the rule that they couldn't be written until the first day of school, then we would get summer clothes at the end of the year...
Do you go back to school clothes shopping?
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM

We do not go back to school clothes shopping.  We buy clothes when they are on sale, when the kids outgrow their old clothes, or when they need something specific.

My boys get something special at the beginning of the school year.  On the first day that our public school starts, I take my boys to the book store with a gift card for books.  They spend hours picking out books and figuring how many they can get with their cards.  There are no other kids in the shop, so they can play with the stuff that the store has on display without interuption.  Then afterwards we pick up take out (a rarity) and curl up at home with our prizes.

You can make other special events for your homeschooler.

NewInChrist
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I like the book store idea. I have been trekking dh that I want to have one big fuels trip a year, to like NASA and big aquariums abd stiff like that, stuff kids in schools don't get to do.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We do not go back to school clothes shopping.  We buy clothes when they are on sale, when the kids outgrow their old clothes, or when they need something specific.

My boys get something special at the beginning of the school year.  On the first day that our public school starts, I take my boys to the book store with a gift card for books.  They spend hours picking out books and figuring how many they can get with their cards.  There are no other kids in the shop, so they can play with the stuff that the store has on display without interuption.  Then afterwards we pick up take out (a rarity) and curl up at home with our prizes.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM

We do a bunch of small field trips each year....far more than the ps kids get.  And we go on at least one over-nighter which doesn't happen here until 5th grade in ps.  The year before last we did the Baltimore- National Aquarium and last year we did The Smithsonian Natural History museum in DC.  This summer we plan on visiting some caves and then during the school year we want to do the Air and Space museum in Dulles.

There are just a lot of things we can give that the ps just cannot.

Quoting NewInChrist:

I like the book store idea. I have been trekking dh that I want to have one big fuels trip a year, to like NASA and big aquariums abd stiff like that, stuff kids in schools don't get to do.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

NewInChrist
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
The really cool stuff is 10+ hours from us (NASA being15) ask out would be a week you're thong with mini stops between us and our final destination. We live right by the 2nd biggest canyon in America so I'm sure we will do yearly trips there.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We do a bunch of small field trips each year....far more than the ps kids get.  And we go on at least one over-nighter which doesn't happen here until 5th grade in ps.  The year before last we did the Baltimore- National Aquarium and last year we did The Smithsonian Natural History museum in DC.  This summer we plan on visiting some caves and then during the school year we want to do the Air and Space museum in Dulles.

There are just a lot of things we can give that the ps just cannot.

Quoting NewInChrist:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM

No. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I didn't do back to school shopping with him in PS and I won't now.  I just bought stuff when he needed it or when it was on sale.  I'll probably do something special with him the first day the rest of the kids go to PS.  I like the book store idea.  He would love to get to play with some of the stuff there without all the other kids around.  Plus buying books is something he loves doing as much as I do. 

SusanTheWriter
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yep. Everything is on sale! I stock up on plenty at that time of year. I mean, sure, we buy clothes when needed (and on sale), but the BTS sales have a fun, happy energy.

Ok, they're really only fun when you're not actually going back to school. *gg* Every other mom in there is at the end of her rope going, "For the love of GOD! PLEASE try on these jeans in less than half an hour!"

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM

We only do it to take advantage of the sales but only buy what is needed & I don't make a big deal about it!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM
We get clothes as needed throughout the year. I just bought DS1 a new swim suit and 3 shirts...lmao...his suit from last year was...umm...embarrassing!

We do get school supplies at BTS time. Can't beat the prices.

We also usually do something fun, usually a field trip, on back to school day.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM

This! It's one of the best times to buy jeans!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Yep. Everything is on sale! I stock up on plenty at that time of year. I mean, sure, we buy clothes when needed (and on sale), but the BTS sales have a fun, happy energy.

Ok, they're really only fun when you're not actually going back to school. *gg* Every other mom in there is at the end of her rope going, "For the love of GOD! PLEASE try on these jeans in less than half an hour!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)