Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We are officially starting today!!!

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 2 1/2 year old and I are starting "school" today. We've done a few art projects but this will be our first official day. I wanted to start in August but I am using Easy Peasy Getting Ready 1. It's 222 days and I was a little worried about having enough time to complete it. Well yesterday I picked up a PreK activity book on her level and decided to start a couple of months early! She is super excited and so am I. =)

Also, a semi-related question: for those of you that school year-round, when do you start a new curriculum, at the beginning or end of summer or just whenever they complete one?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM

We take a month break in the summer (June 14-July 15 this year) I start the next curric when we finish the last one, so my oldest started his new Spelling and new Grammar curriculums about 5-6 weeks ago.  We'll be at a good stopping place at the end of the week, ready for our first review unit in each of them.  So we'll start with the review when we start back up in July.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Just don't let her get burned out on it, keep it fun & engaging!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

We take a short break and then move on to the next level no matter where we are at.

Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Wow.....2 1/2! Make.sure its play, songs etc....lots of fun stuff!
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Quoting Precious333:

Definitely! We have been doing that already and are continuing but DH and I feel she's ready to start learning letters and numbers by sight and basically pre-reading, Easy Peasy (or allinonehimeschool) had what I wanted in a simple 5-10 minutes a day curric. She enjoyed it today and did well, but if it ends up being too soon, we'll wait a few more months!

CafeMom Tickers
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM

So how was your first day =) 

I think what you are doing is great. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but look into Montessori type activities. They have some WONDERFUL activities for young children! It will pay off later, trust me - especially in areas like math.

I will be homeschooling year round starting in July (2nd week). I can't say that I have a start/stop date. Some curriculum materials will start/stop at various times from one another. We homeschool year round (a few week long breaks), 4 days a week, 4hrs a day structured / 2hrs a day non structured (kids have time to work on projects, research, read, etc).  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

RheaF
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM

We are starting the first week of July. We ended last year the third week of May.

Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM
My 2 1/2 yr old loves counting and identifying letters etc. With me! I think that he sees his older brothers using them all the time so he copies a lot of what they do! :) i haventbhad a set time for doing it, he just comes to me with it lol. Whenever i do school with my kids we do it as a family and they do what that can based on where they are at :)

Have fun with your 2 yr old! :)

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Quoting Precious333:

Definitely! We have been doing that already and are continuing but DH and I feel she's ready to start learning letters and numbers by sight and basically pre-reading, Easy Peasy (or allinonehimeschool) had what I wanted in a simple 5-10 minutes a day curric. She enjoyed it today and did well, but if it ends up being too soon, we'll wait a few more months!

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Good luck...I like the look of easy peasy as well...

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Our first and second days went very well. She has been telling everyone she sees that April the alligator says aaahhh lol.

And thank you, I will check those out!

Quoting celticdragon77:

So how was your first day =) 

I think what you are doing is great. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but look into Montessori type activities. They have some WONDERFUL activities for young children! It will pay off later, trust me - especially in areas like math.

I will be homeschooling year round starting in July (2nd week). I can't say that I have a start/stop date. Some curriculum materials will start/stop at various times from one another. We homeschool year round (a few week long breaks), 4 days a week, 4hrs a day structured / 2hrs a day non structured (kids have time to work on projects, research, read, etc).  

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN