Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Amazon...

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 22 Replies

This is probably such a simple question - and yet I keep over analyzing it. 

Is it worth buying a Amazon Prime membership / does anyone have it?

Now here comes my ramble... (feel free to just ignore this part of the post, lol).

I was at Barnes and Nobles (the store - not online). I was buying some workbooks and such. When at the register, they asked me if I wanted their membership. It cost $25 and if I paid for it, I was going to save $30 (so it more than paid for itself). I don't usually shop AT bookstores, and didn't know if I would even use the card again, but it seemed worth paying the $25 to save $30. 

When I got home, I was double checking that I got a decent deal on the books. I ended up returning all of the "books" because they were WAY cheaper on Amazon (the difference of $27 - after the discount at Barnes and Nobles to $12 on Amazon - shipping was $3.- on the book. That is a $15 difference). Some books had an even wider margin of savings. The workbooks and other items I bought were worth buying at Barnes and Nobles because with shipping it would cost more to buy them online.

So at this point, I realized it is WAY cheaper to buy books through Amazon than at the stores. So then I wonder if anything is cheaper than Amazon (online). I couldn't find it, if there was. So I go to order my books on Amazon. When I went to pay... I click the "free shipping" that is advertised and read about the Amazon prime membership. Looks interesting. 

But I think to my Barnes and Nobles membership. I save 10-40% with it. So I go to their website. Turns out the dscount is only good in stores. However, I do get free shipping with it online. The price still doesn't beat Amazon (and that comparison is without Amazons membership).

Okay, so now I am down to just Amazon. Here is the thing. The Amazon Prime membership costs $79.- a yr. Well worth it since shipping is at least $4-5 a book and I buy TONS of books every year!! I would need to buy 16 books to break even. I have more than 16 books in my Amazon cart right now waiting to be bought. Seems simple enough right? It is cost effective to pay the $79.- to get the free shipping - if I am spending more than that $79.- in shipping. 

Okay, so I noticed that Amazon allows private sellers to sell used - and even new products for cheaper than what Amazon themselves sell the products for (which is already super competitive). BUT the prime membership only qualifies for products sold by Amazon. This is where it gets complicated. I can find books + shipping for cheaper than what I can find the books + free shipping. However, there is the risk of getting burned every time I place an order.

I do not like Ebay. I do NOT want to BID on items. I do not have the time or patience for that. I want to buy an item - I do not want to spend 3 days watching 5 bids of the same thing to see which one has the better price and then get out bidded - or worse, pay too much for something just because I do not want to repeat the process after losing.

So anyways, back to Amazon... is it worth just playing it safe and purchasing ONLY through Amazon? Paying the prime membership? I mean, I am still getting a terrific deal no matter how I deal with Amazon (well, comparatively speaking).

I DO try to find all of books used at local used homeschool stores. I am a little hesitant to buy used online because I have heard some pretty bad stories about people getting scammed. My used homeschool stores do not have all the books I need because many are not curriculum or "homeschool" books. Most homeschoolers in my area must not use the same choices I do with curriculum, because even that, I struggle to find. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I use amazon for 99% of my books. I do have the prime membership and I love that you can watch videos and get books from the lending library. I've never had a problem with them and have been pleased with them.

I've even bought college textbooks and no issues at all. DH and I have had amazon for 3 years and love it.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I like to buy used and new through different sellers on Amazon and so I didn't think it was worth it.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I knew the prime hadsome perks besides the free shipping. However, I didn't know about the lending library. I will have to look into that. What is that? 

Quoting mamamedic69:

I use amazon for 99% of my books. I do have the prime membership and I love that you can watch videos and get books from the lending library. I've never had a problem with them and have been pleased with them.

I've even bought college textbooks and no issues at all. DH and I have had amazon for 3 years and love it.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

SusanTheWriter
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We have the Prime membership because my DH is an Amazon junkie. We buy a lot more than just books on Amazon and the free shipping saves us a ton on a lot of different items.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

They have books that you can borrow from. They have a ton of books. You can lend one book a month but it beats having to buy everything. I find it works for kids books. My DD is young but loves being read to so we get storybooks from there for her.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I knew the prime hadsome perks besides the free shipping. However, I didn't know about the lending library. I will have to look into that. What is that? 

Quoting mamamedic69:

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

The free video streaming and lending libraries make it worth it to me, even without the free shipping.  I don't like using sellers who don't ship through Amazon.  I have gotten burned one to many times.  So I will pay a higher price for the garuntee of getting my books on time and in the condition I expected. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I use it.  One nice thing is you can put up to 4 email addresses on the account. (shipped to the same adreess).  My father in law and I share one membership.  I use it all the time.  Even used I think the deals are great.  I have received some very nice books even with shipping for less than $5.  It just depends on the books. I love the free fast shipping.  I teach a co-op classes and like the fast shipping on small items for my class as well.  I just bought 48 world erasers for $8 shipped.  I will handing them out to my class.  Personally I would just take the plunge and evaluate how useful it was.  I have also received used books with amazon prime shipping.  I am addicted to Amazon.  I also just bought a no stress chess set with my membership.  

QueenCreole313
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Love it. The free 2 day shipping is awesome!
lil_mama06
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I use Amazon for most of my purchases..I don't have a prime membership..

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I often find I pay MORE when using amazon prime than if I had purchased through one of their sellers and paid their shipping. It only pays when the item isn't avail from another seller, or the item is large and would be expensive to ship.
I can't use their video service, our Internet is too slow and we don't have a decide that will play it besides my iPad.
And you can only borrow 1 free book a month IF you have an actual kindle, not an app on the iPad.

So, if I hadn't gotten it for half price when I purchased my moms kindle for Christmas, I would not have gotten amazon prime, and I will not renew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN