Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This is probably such a simple question - and yet I keep over analyzing it. 

Is it worth buying a Amazon Prime membership / does anyone have it?

Now here comes my ramble... (feel free to just ignore this part of the post, lol).

I was at Barnes and Nobles (the store - not online). I was buying some workbooks and such. When at the register, they asked me if I wanted their membership. It cost $25 and if I paid for it, I was going to save $30 (so it more than paid for itself). I don't usually shop AT bookstores, and didn't know if I would even use the card again, but it seemed worth paying the $25 to save $30. 

When I got home, I was double checking that I got a decent deal on the books. I ended up returning all of the "books" because they were WAY cheaper on Amazon (the difference of $27 - after the discount at Barnes and Nobles to $12 on Amazon - shipping was $3.- on the book. That is a $15 difference). Some books had an even wider margin of savings. The workbooks and other items I bought were worth buying at Barnes and Nobles because with shipping it would cost more to buy them online.

So at this point, I realized it is WAY cheaper to buy books through Amazon than at the stores. So then I wonder if anything is cheaper than Amazon (online). I couldn't find it, if there was. So I go to order my books on Amazon. When I went to pay... I click the "free shipping" that is advertised and read about the Amazon prime membership. Looks interesting. 

But I think to my Barnes and Nobles membership. I save 10-40% with it. So I go to their website. Turns out the dscount is only good in stores. However, I do get free shipping with it online. The price still doesn't beat Amazon (and that comparison is without Amazons membership).

Okay, so now I am down to just Amazon. Here is the thing. The Amazon Prime membership costs $79.- a yr. Well worth it since shipping is at least $4-5 a book and I buy TONS of books every year!! I would need to buy 16 books to break even. I have more than 16 books in my Amazon cart right now waiting to be bought. Seems simple enough right? It is cost effective to pay the $79.- to get the free shipping - if I am spending more than that $79.- in shipping. 

Okay, so I noticed that Amazon allows private sellers to sell used - and even new products for cheaper than what Amazon themselves sell the products for (which is already super competitive). BUT the prime membership only qualifies for products sold by Amazon. This is where it gets complicated. I can find books + shipping for cheaper than what I can find the books + free shipping. However, there is the risk of getting burned every time I place an order.

I do not like Ebay. I do NOT want to BID on items. I do not have the time or patience for that. I want to buy an item - I do not want to spend 3 days watching 5 bids of the same thing to see which one has the better price and then get out bidded - or worse, pay too much for something just because I do not want to repeat the process after losing.

So anyways, back to Amazon... is it worth just playing it safe and purchasing ONLY through Amazon? Paying the prime membership? I mean, I am still getting a terrific deal no matter how I deal with Amazon (well, comparatively speaking).

I DO try to find all of books used at local used homeschool stores. I am a little hesitant to buy used online because I have heard some pretty bad stories about people getting scammed. My used homeschool stores do not have all the books I need because many are not curriculum or "homeschool" books. Most homeschoolers in my area must not use the same choices I do with curriculum, because even that, I struggle to find. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I believe they have a 30 day free trial, I'd do that first :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I have Amazon prime & I buy way more then books from them. I do about 50% of all my shopping with them for everything. Art supplies, computer stuff, household things, we have even gotten parts for our cars that we needed from them. We always compare prices before placing an order & 50% of the time Amazon is cheaper.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I have been struggling with this same issue! I go back and forth so much about it lol. Thanks for asking so I could see other opinions.
mamaof2n1angel
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I have prime through amazon and I love it... so dies my hubby. I pay for it
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM

You can try it out free for a month.  I did that and LOVED the speed.  Orders are fulfilled faster, shipping is faster, but it does cost.  I can usually get the free shipping with a $25 order, but I'm thinking of getting the membership so I can pick up just a book or two, here or there.  Some of the used stuff qualifies as well, if it's fulfilled by Amazon.

Christie1952
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I love Amazon prime!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I can't comment on Amazon Prime, as I do not have it.

Regarding Barnes and Noble. They offer a teacher's discount card (20%) free for teachers (yes, homeschoolers count in most/many states!).

Barnes and Noble gets more of our business than Amazon, frankly. It's worth it (even if you do not qualify for the teacher's discount card; opting instead for the fee based regular membership) for those small, random, last minute purchases.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I've had prime for about 3 years. The first year I have no idea what I or someone else on the computer clicked to activate it. However, after I started using it, the UPS man is regularly delivering to my door! LOL! You can share the free shipping part of the prime membership with several other people. I have two of my sons and my mother on it. Now, there are some features, like borrowing prime books and videos that won't work for them--it is just the free shipping. So, what I am saying is to go in with some friends on it.

luvemboth
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I've had Amazon prime for almost a yr and have never heard of the lending library. I'm excited to check it out!

It's definitely worth it to us because we buy more than books from there and we don't have cable, so the video streaming is nice.

Quoting mamamedic69:

I use amazon for 99% of my books. I do have the prime membership and I love that you can watch videos and get books from the lending library. I've never had a problem with them and have been pleased with them.

I've even bought college textbooks and no issues at all. DH and I have had amazon for 3 years and love it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haylemoon
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM

have you tried half.com?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)