Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teacher Duct Taped Student to Chair for Being 'Rowdy'

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 16 Replies

Teacher Duct Taped Student to Chair for Being 'Rowdy'

by Jeanne Sager

duct tapeWhen mom Natasha Crutchfield sent her 8-year-old son to school, she thought he'd be safe. He was going to SCHOOL. But then her son came home from his San Antonio, Texas school and told her he'd been duct-taped to a chair for three hours by a teacher who said he was too "rowdy."

Appropriate discipline? Not on your life. But what's a mom to do?

She wasn't there. She had to send her kid to school. And instead of being able to choose an appropriate course of action to correct her son's behavior, she had to rely on the school staff to do it.

It's what parents across the United States do every day. We pack our kids lunches, fill up their backpacks, and we load them on school buses, off to spend a day with other adults who we hope will treat them as we would.

Usually they do. Usually I agree if a teacher decides my kid should sit out five minutes of recess for forgetting to bring her homework home for the third time in a row or spend a few minutes with her head on her desk for talking too much in class.

But when the school does something I don't agree with wholeheartedly, it's hard to know just what to do. If I don't stick up for her, then I've failed her. But if I raise a ruckus, what message am I sending her about respect for authority, for other adults who DO have to discipline her when I'm not around?

Take what happened to Natasha Crutchfield's son.

Clearly, a child should not be duct taped to a chair for any amount of time. That little boy should have felt it was OK to pull the tape off, get up, and walk to an administrator's office to report her for doing something wrong.

It's not his fault that he didn't, nor is it his mom's. It's impossible to prepare our kids for every eventuality.

We try to teach our kids that they need to respect their elders, but we also have to teach them that their elders aren't always right, that sometimes it's OK to disobey their elders.

This is the fine line you walk both before and after a situation akin to the Crutchfields. Because now this mom has to raise a stink, has to get the Judson Independent School District to do something about a teacher who duct tapes kids to chairs so that her kid knows she's got his back, while still teaching her son to respect OTHER teachers.

It's not for the faint of heart. But good for her for sticking up for her kid. He's just a little boy ... and he needs her help.

Have you ever had to complain when a school staffer disciplined your child too harshly while still in public school?

What did you do about it?

Do stories like this further validate your decision to homeschool?

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAmour
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

we'd be toe-to-toe and I'd be in jail.

acrogodess
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this
There is no issue here. He can respect GOOD teachers. This woman deserves no respect. I would raise hell about something like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree there is no issue here.  You can respectfully walk away from an abusive situation.  You can respectfully report an abusive situation. 

I don't need stories to validate my reason to homeschool, I sent my first child to ps and had issues with abusive and disrespectful teachers all on my own. 

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

When I was in the 4th grade, I had issues of talking too much and getting up out of my seat all the time (by high school I was diagnosised with ADHD). The teacher was not used to a "girl" behaving this way and it was disruptive to the class. My (foster) parents gave the teacher permission to duct tape me to my seat - and even once duct tape my mouth shut. My lie. It was done jokingly by the teacher. Then she just started handing me the roll of duct tape when I was talking or out of my seat - saying "you know what to do if you can't sit / be quiet".

I had a lot of teachers do things that would likely cause all kinds of ruckus now days. But I was the kind of kid that just could NOT focus. I HAD to be up and moving round for my brain to work better. I learned better by discussing ideas outloud. To sit still and quietly at a desk all day long was torture. I was often put in cubicle desks or made to sit out in the hallway.

One year (5th grade), the principal was forced to have me sit in his office to do school because no teachers wanted me in their class. I STILL couldn't sit still or be quiet. So he let me follow him around and be "vice principal". He would explain a lot of stuff to me and asked me to do hands on type projects or explain things back to him... he was pretty cool. I did almost NO formal schooling that year. Every now and then I see him out and about - and he STILL remembers me and comes up and talks with me. 

When I was in first or second grade, I walked out of the middle of class and went outside to read my book (while walking around). That was back when there were still paddles in school - and I almost was spanked for that. 

So anyways, some of these kids I am sure are quite the handful. I know I was. I am not traumatized by anything done to me. If anything, I traumatizd a few teachers. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

The schools have NEVER had permission to do any form of punishment with my children..I have always made sure that the principal,teachers KNOW to CALL ME if they have ANY problems and I will take care of it...However my kids know that for them public school is a priviledge and not a right. But my 2 that are in public school is going into 11th grade and going into 9th grade..My 11th grader may graduate next year, she wants to take summer school for a part credit, so she'll have all of her credits next year..We shall see..The younger ones I'm homeschooling because THEY CHOOSE to homeschool ( I just happen to agree with it)..But if they ever chose to go to public, I'd be ok with that too...However if that was MY child, I would be up at the principal's office,the Superintendents office and at the school board complaining about that teacher..I would have a few words to say to him/her as well...YOU DON'T DO THAT TO SOMEONE'S CHILD PERIOD...They don't need to be a teacher anymore in my opinion..  

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Lawsuit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Yes many times I had to stand up for my son against the school.

I eventually removed him from the school to homeschool him because the school continued to not care for my son properly.

Yes they do & it is also more reasons my other children will never step foot into a school.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
My son was in kindergarten when I got the first call. He was going to be suspended from the bus for fighting. He refused to answer the principals questions and just cried. He was only five. I walked in to find him crying with his scarf torn in his hands. As the principal babbled I took in the image of my son .... including his neck. When the principal stopped I asked "What happened to his neck?" Everyone froze. I asked Alex who held up the scarf. I told the principal to get the police officer immediately. Alex couldnt speak ! He was taken to the hospital where they found internal damage to his throat from strangulation. Another boy grabbed the thick handknit scarf and pulled. Alex was fighting for his life.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

That about had me tears. NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THAT, ESPECIALLY AT 5yrs of AGE!!!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

My son was in kindergarten when I got the first call. He was going to be suspended from the bus for fighting. He refused to answer the principals questions and just cried. He was only five. I walked in to find him crying with his scarf torn in his hands. As the principal babbled I took in the image of my son .... including his neck. When the principal stopped I asked "What happened to his neck?" Everyone froze. I asked Alex who held up the scarf. I told the principal to get the police officer immediately. Alex couldnt speak ! He was taken to the hospital where they found internal damage to his throat from strangulation. Another boy grabbed the thick handknit scarf and pulled. Alex was fighting for his life.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM
He was so upset about the scarf too. I had just made it. I had to order new yarn from England which took weeks to come in. The amily of the boy said I was wrong for giving him the scarf !

Quoting celticdragon77:

That about had me tears. NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THAT, ESPECIALLY AT 5yrs of AGE!!!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN