Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Choices choices choices.... Help me decide!;)

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am searching for supplies for the upcoming homeschool year. This year I planned a lot on my own ( I am a teacher by trade) I am looking to purchase for this year though. I live in Connecticut, and these are the required subjects below.

Math: I am torn between math-U-see and Saxon 

Reading: I am all set. I am using leap frog, along with a phonic DVD program.

Spelling: ideas??

English grammar: ideas??

Geography: ideas??

United States history: ideas??

Citizenship: (must include study of town, state & federal government) ideas?? My daughter volunteers at our local non profit community agency. We are also very involved in our community with this organization and our local library. My daughter learns about our state government, and has met our senator, etc. So I think I have town and state covered. Now I need to cover federal government. 

In addition to the required subjects I also teach her bible, foreign language( she picked Spanish for next year), and we do physical education along with health. We also do additional topics for her life skills class such as cooking, etc.

I should add that my daughter is going to be 6 this summer. She would have been entering 1st grade if she were in the school system. 

Any and all help, suggestions, and your experience would be welcomed and appreciated. 

Thank you & God bless

Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

family in the vanbreastfeedingteen girlhave a nice day

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

We like Math U See.  I've not tried Saxon. 

Have you thought about just using the Dolche Sight words for your Spelling this year.  I do not start a full spelling curriculum until they are finished with their Phonics program (2nd grade).  I simply use the sight words that they are learning in phonics as their spelling words each week.

I use the Evan-Moor dailies for grammar and punctuation, but I don't do it every day.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

We love Math U See too.
Spelling: All About Spelling. My kids LOVE it :)
We haven't done US history yet per se, we've done things on our own...but we've used Story of the World for History which starts at ancient, and it does geography with it....
English/Grammar: This coming year we're going to try Write Shop. They have Primary for the lower grades, and if I'm not mistaken it incorporates grammar into it, but you're not going to see diagraming or things like that with it...  Otherwise, at the younger grades, we used Spectrum workbooks.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Math - go with math u see. We hated Saxon.

Spelling - LOVE all about spelling

We don't start grammar until second grade

Geography - I'd just get a globe and a map. I like the leap thing... What is it called? The one where the "pen" helps you read?? It has a cool us map and we are also using it for astronomy because it has an astronomy pack too.
As you read about different people and places, point them out on the map. Print off coloring pages for free.

I don't have suggestions for the other subjects, we don't push academics that early for the most part. They will go over the exact same stuff from 5th grade on when they can understand and remember it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM

We don't use curriculum but here is a bump

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Having had experience in home education, and in public schools (as a tutor).  I have found that the majority of children who are slow or struggling readers have learned some of the sounds incorrectly making it difficult for them to blend the sounds to form words.  That is because some of the sounds do not sound the same as what you, the teacher, would teach.  The computer also does not give immediate feedback to make corrections if the child is learning them incorrectly.  It is important that you teach the sounds using games rather than the computer.  The following video explains the letters commonly taught incorrectly. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Same here. :)

Quoting usmom3:

We don't use curriculum but here is a bump

Momof697
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

For spelling when you read a book and they ask what does that word mean. make it a spelling word. have them look it up in the dictionary and write it out. learn to spell it. 

It sounds like you have a very active plan. For a 6 yr old. wow. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Not really - her plan looks similar to most rigorous plans I've seen for first graders.

OP -

Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind

Writing: Writing With Ease, 1

Math: we hated, hated, hated Saxon

History: Story of the World

Science: Magic School Bus vids plus their kits *or* Behold and See (but that's a Catholic program)

Spelling: This is really a personal preference... and would depend on where your kiddo is. Rod and Staff maybe?

Quoting Momof697:

For spelling when you read a book and they ask what does that word mean. make it a spelling word. have them look it up in the dictionary and write it out. learn to spell it. 

It sounds like you have a very active plan. For a 6 yr old. wow. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Homeschoolmom10
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Thank you so much for all of your input. It has really helped me decide what to do for this upcoming year. I think this is what I will plan on doing.

Math: math-u-see

Reading: leap frog, and phonics DVD system. Plus books from the library.

Spelling:

English grammar:

Geography: books from the library, along with our globe,maps etc. Iam also considering using the leap frog interactive map.

United states history: books from the library

Citizenship: I am going to continue what I have been doing, but I am still stumped on federal government. Ideas???

Bible: I have devitionals, and the hooked on bible stories box set.

Spanish: I am going to use library resources, and my SO speaks Spanish.

Physical education: she is going to do gymnastics, plus we do tai chi weekly as a family. In addition bike riding, hiking, etc. we are an active family. 

Health: I am going to continue what we already do.

Life skills: I am going to continue what we already do.

So I guess I need to only figure out what to do for federal government(only because it is required by the state)

Quoting Homeschoolmom10:

Hello everyone,

I am searching for supplies for the upcoming homeschool year. This year I planned a lot on my own ( I am a teacher by trade) I am looking to purchase for this year though. I live in Connecticut, and these are the required subjects below.

Math: I am torn between math-U-see and Saxon 

Reading: I am all set. I am using leap frog, along with a phonic DVD program.

Spelling: ideas??

English grammar: ideas??

Geography: ideas??

United States history: ideas??

Citizenship: (must include study of town, state & federal government) ideas?? My daughter volunteers at our local non profit community agency. We are also very involved in our community with this organization and our local library. My daughter learns about our state government, and has met our senator, etc. So I think I have town and state covered. Now I need to cover federal government. 

In addition to the required subjects I also teach her bible, foreign language( she picked Spanish for next year), and we do physical education along with health. We also do additional topics for her life skills class such as cooking, etc.

I should add that my daughter is going to be 6 this summer. She would have been entering 1st grade if she were in the school system. 

Any and all help, suggestions, and your experience would be welcomed and appreciated. 

Thank you & God bless

Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

family in the vanbreastfeedingteen girlhave a nice day

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM

What state are you in?  Our state requires history and geography of the US, State, and World and the Gov't of the US and state.  But you have all 6 years of elementary school to do it!  We are covering History of the World and geography of the world and we'll wait until 5th or 6th grades to fully cover the gov't.  It's a tough concept for a 6yo, IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)