Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Choices choices choices.... Help me decide!;)

Hello everyone,

I am searching for supplies for the upcoming homeschool year. This year I planned a lot on my own ( I am a teacher by trade) I am looking to purchase for this year though. I live in Connecticut, and these are the required subjects below.

Math: I am torn between math-U-see and Saxon 

Reading: I am all set. I am using leap frog, along with a phonic DVD program.

Spelling: ideas??

English grammar: ideas??

Geography: ideas??

United States history: ideas??

Citizenship: (must include study of town, state & federal government) ideas?? My daughter volunteers at our local non profit community agency. We are also very involved in our community with this organization and our local library. My daughter learns about our state government, and has met our senator, etc. So I think I have town and state covered. Now I need to cover federal government. 

In addition to the required subjects I also teach her bible, foreign language( she picked Spanish for next year), and we do physical education along with health. We also do additional topics for her life skills class such as cooking, etc.

I should add that my daughter is going to be 6 this summer. She would have been entering 1st grade if she were in the school system. 

Any and all help, suggestions, and your experience would be welcomed and appreciated. 

Thank you & God bless

Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

family in the vanbreastfeedingteen girlhave a nice day

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (11-15):
Homeschoolmom10
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I am in connecticut. 

Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

family in the vanbreastfeedingteen girlhave a nice day

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM
We get a workbook called, "Maps, Globes and Graphs" from our charter school. It is good for geography. We do it one day a week as kind of a supplement to what we do on our own.

We watch TV and when something comes on about different countries we use the world or US map on the wall to find the country.

When we take road trips, the kids bring blank maps and color in "out of state" license plates we find as we go. We learned the capitals that way too. Sometimes we do tally marks and go graphs, etc.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM
For federal government, we discuss our leaders and their jobs.

We do patriotic activities like a flag day ceremony last night at the Elks lodge. They went over the history of different US flags.

t 1st grade we learned about all the different holidays.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I can't really recommend anything in particular. I researched for a long time and had various things that factored into my decisions.

Money, amount of time to invest, religion, learning styles, learning disabilities... are just a few of the factors that should be considered before looking at a curriculum.

If you can find it somewhere for cheap, I would suggest cathy duffys 101 top picks as a starting place. You can explore further into learning styles for free online. There are books on the topic - I have read a few. But I have also found all the same information online for free.

I have certain philosophys on learning. So I look for certain things that best suit those - or I supplement / create my own.  

If you don't have a solid foundation, you risk becoming someone who is always changing to the next thing that looks good to you. 

I do not have a 6yr old - my kids are 9, 10.5 and 17yrs old. However, when my kids were young, they benefited from a Montessori type style of learning. Very hands on, visual, concrete, exploratory learning. I also had a lot of Waldorf inspired art and toys. But I liked the gentle and natural approach in the beginning. Once they got older, I favored more of the Charlotte Mason and Classical styles. However, I do not "follow" them. I more let it influence us. I believe in balance. So I try to balance teacher led vs child led. I try to balance out the natural learning styles vs strengthening their weaker learning styles. etc. But that is what suited us - and might not suit others. My kids attended public school for a few years and that is another factor that now plays into things - I now have the consquences of that decision to work with. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

oredeb
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM

hi homescmom! wow thats a lot of subjects for a almost 6 year old!! wow!!

math- we love saxon

spelling- i use words from our unit studies

english/grammar- we dont start lang. arts till 2nd/ 3rd gr. then i use rod and staff

geography- i make up unit studies using lots of books, library, internet, games

history- that young i teach the kids the history or the area we live in, our family history

citizenship- i teach about the flag, pledge, patriotic songs, some famous monuments, armed forces stuff(i think abeka  has a citizenship workbook young kids)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)